iOS 4.2GM so far

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Parsec, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Parsec macrumors member

Well, installed GM two days ago. Some improvements that I've noticed so far:

- No more music skipping. iPod app would skip occasionally while listening traveling by car (with earplugs)
    - No more loss of GPS accuracy using Navigon after temporarily switching to another app. Usually it would revert to an error specifying GPS accuracy was less accurate than 47m and never get a more accurate fix unless I killed Navigon and started it again.

Very happy with both improvements.:)

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I like the new AirPrint feature. I don't print a whole lot, but it comes in handy when I want to print things like coupons and order confirmation pages directly from my iPhone. It's been working pretty well for me.

Another feature I like is the search within a Web page. This feature has been long overdue!

I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the iPod app (or others such as Pandora), though. Do I have to have a compatible device such as Apple TV for the AirPlay icon to show up? Will I be able to stream music/video to my MacBook Pro, though that wouldn't make any sense?

3. Parsec thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and I can confirm that the Daylight Savings Time bug in the alarm clock is no longer present. At least, it seems that way. I guess I'll just have to wait another year if it gone for good.

4. kuctonkucton201 macrumors member

wait another year ?? kidding??

5. shandyman Suspended

yea you need a compatible device for this to show up, and no not to your macbook pro. apple tv, airport express or airplay compatible speakers only

6. richard371 macrumors 68000

ipod skipped while in the car? Never heard of that one as it is solid state.

7. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I'll bet he has the 'shake to shuffle' feature enabled. Hits a bump in the road and bang he's on the next song.

8. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I've been using the Find in Page javascript in safari for years. You don't have to be jailbroken to use it either. In addition, I also have javascripts for:
    -View page source
    -Scroll to end

I know there are many more than just those I've listed out there, but for my needs, I found these to be the most useful.

9. Parsec thread starter macrumors member

No, I know about this feature and sometimes use it. It's just that the music didn't stop to go to another song. Actual in-song skipping like an old CD player (and not jailbroken either). This would be more apparent when running programs. It would improve considerably after restarting the device if it became unusable.

Funny thing was that it never skipped while playing via bluetooth on my other car's stereo. Just my headphones (didn't have a stereo in that car).

I wasn't the only one with the problem: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1690813

Anyway, it seems to be fixed now.

10. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I find battery life on iOS 4.2 much better than before. The memory leak issues seem resolved!

12. Parsec thread starter macrumors member

Well, I didn't want to go there yet, but it does seem to be that way, yes. Not by much, but I'd say 20-30% extra life I would estimate at the moment. It's almost back up to be as bad as iOS 3 on my 3GS ;)

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Does it have a new feature that lets the WiFi work again? (I won't go into the details here, but there's many threads about this on the apple forums)