Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi.
Ok here is the thing. I just bought a used iPhone 3GS online and I got it today. It turns out that the iPhone was not factory unlocked, contrary to what seller had said. The seller seems to have vanished and so I'm left with the iPhone.

I then updated the iPhone to the latest iOS, 4.3.3 (?). Now iTunes tells me that the sim card is not compatible with the iPhone, i.e. it is locked.

Is it correct that iTunes automatically updated the baseband to the latest version they have when I updated the iPhone?
Is there any way of unlocking or downgrading my baseband? Is it possible I have some other baseband despite my update?
As I understand it, I can not jailbreak my iPhone with Redsnow since it's still locked. Is that correct?

What are my current options, if any?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Hi.
Ok here is the thing. I just bought a used iPhone 3GS online and I got it today. It turns out that the iPhone was not factory unlocked, contrary to what seller had said. The seller seems to have vanished and so I'm left with the iPhone.

I then updated the iPhone to the latest iOS, 4.3.3 (?). Now iTunes tells me that the sim card is not compatible with the iPhone, i.e. it is locked.

Is it correct that iTunes automatically updated the baseband to the latest version they have when I updated the iPhone?

Yes. If you need ultrasn0w to unlock this is the top thing on the NEVER DO list.

Is there any way of unlocking or downgrading my baseband? Is it possible I have some other baseband despite my update?

No, no baseband downgrade possible.

As I understand it, I can not jailbreak my iPhone with Redsnow since it's still locked. Is that correct?

No, you can use redsnow and have a tethered jailbreak now. Also download tiny umbrella to see what you SHSH situation is for using alternate iOS versions. Also as of today it looks like you can still install 4.3.2 and have an untethered jailbreak.

What are my current options, if any?

For an unlock? Not really good, what network is it locked to? You could either pursue an unlock via the original carrier if they do unlocks. Or you could do the ipad baseband if you don't mind losing the GPS and the hassle it is to restore the phone that way.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi. Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I have no idea what carrier it's locked to :(

Do you think that I will be able to unlock it with Ultrasnow in the near future?

So basically my only option for now if I want to use it is to either update the iPhone baseband to the iPad baseband (which would be irreversible, correct?), wait for an unlock for the baseband or simply try finding out what carrier it is locked to (and I'm in Denmark so it could be any of numerous)?

I thinking the iPad baseband upgrade is perhaps my best option?

And b.t.w. here is what TinyUmbrella tells me:

I guess that means I have the old bootroom. Does that matter?

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Hi. Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I have no idea what carrier it's locked to :(

Do you think that I will be able to unlock it with Ultrasnow in the near future?

Not really likely at all. The most hope we have is a possible downgrade hack which also looks like it is going nowhere.

So basically my only option for now if I want to use it is to either update the iPhone baseband to the iPad baseband (which would be irreversible, correct?), wait for an unlock for the baseband or simply try finding out what carrier it is locked to (and I'm in Denmark so it could be any of numerous)?

There is the grevy sim thing, but I think it will eventually get you in trouble.

I thinking the iPad baseband upgrade is perhaps my best option?

Pretty much, remember you lose GPS and have to always use custom firmwares to restore from then on. Also no warranty/applecare after that.

And b.t.w. here is what TinyUmbrella tells me:

Model: MB715LL/A
Baseband: 05.16.02-6.4_M3S2
ECID (Dec): Delete this!
ECID (Hex): Delete this!
IMEI: Delete this!
Serial: Delete this!

I guess that means I have the old bootroom. Does that matter?

Edit your post and Delete these! The public doesn't need this stuff.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi again. Thanks so much for your replies. I think I will upgrade to the iPad firmware and hope that DevTeam will offer a downgrade somewhere in the future, no gps is better than no iphone :)

Any views on piggy back and proxy sims as romeo0119 points out, are they solution or crap?

One final thing. I decided save the SHSH's for the iPhone just now and it spurred out 10 different shsh's, from 3.0 to 4.2.1. I guess is though that it won't help me, correct?

Anyways thanks a lot :)

Last edited:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Hi again. Thanks so much for your replies. I think I will upgrade to the iPad firmware and hope that DevTeam will offer a downgrade somewhere in the future, no gps is better than no iphone :)

Any views on piggy back and proxy sims as romeo0119 points out, are they solution or crap?

One final thing. I decided save the SHSH's for the iPhone just now and it spurred out 10 different shsh's, from 3.0 to 4.2.1. I guess is though that it won't help me, correct?

Anyways thanks a lot :)

It would help you downgrade to a previous iOS version but that doesn't help you with unlocking it since the baseband will remain unchanged.

Did you pay with PayPal? If so, file a claim. They are very good to buyers.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hmm interesting... I've heard its illegal and it can damage the phone?

Perhaps this is the solution for me. Does anyone disagree?

Hmm on second thought it looks like Gevey doesn't unlock my baseband after all.

Here is what gevey sais it can unlock:
iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2,and 4.3.3
Baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10, 4.10.1

Last edited:

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Well I just updated my baseband to 6.15.00 and I don't really know how to proceed. The screen is just black and I can't seem to turn the iPhone on. iTunes says it has discovered a an iPhone in recovery mode and that I need to restore it.

I tried restoring it by pressing option and selecting the 4.3.2 firmware but Apple then just says: "The iPhone cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted"

Hmmm am I in trouble?

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Did you not bother to read up about the iPad bb? :rolleyes:
You can no longer use original firmware. You have to use custom firmware.
No wonder you got swindled.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hmm yes I thought that was what I just did? I downloaded the iPhone2,1_4.3.2_Restore.ipsw custom firmware and updated the baseband with it and Redn0w. I then tried to restore in iTunes with this firmware but that didn't work. Wow I'm confused.

Just a few minutes ago I also stumbled upon sn0ebreeze_iPhone 3GS-4.3.ipsw.

Ok I'm veeery confused right now. Can anyone tell the basic things I need to do now to get it working :S

iLoyal

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Hmm interesting... I've heard its illegal and it can damage the phone?

Perhaps this is the solution for me. Does anyone disagree?

Hmm on second thought it looks like Gevey doesn't unlock my baseband after all.

Here is what gevey sais it can unlock:
iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2,and 4.3.3
Baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10, 4.10.1

It's not illegal and it won't damage the phone. The worst scenario, would be having to restore the phone but it's not require to do so. But I assume it's too late since you already upgraded to IPad BB.... Never take a step until you are clear with the next step; always leave options for yourself.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
I told you not to do it. Search these forums for iPad bb posts. There might still be hope for you.

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
To the OP, you seem to be just going ahead and doing things without really thinking about them.

You should REALLY take some time and read before you go ahead and just decide to do something, weigh the pros and cons because a lot of the things you seem to be doing there is no going back.

You should have came on the site BEFORE updating the firmware, in fact, you should have tested the unlock before you purchased the phone, you should have understood that there is no more updating through itunes once you put the ipad baseband, and you should understand that it is unlikely that a baseband downgrade is in development as it it not the dev-teams priority with the iPad 2 jailbreak still in the works and the iPhone 5 just around the corner.

Slow down, and research before jumping in or buying something.

kkkson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi. Thanks for your response. I did in fact way my options.
Firstly, I bought the phone believe that it was factory unlocked as the seller had told me and thus I updated and that was that. No going back on that one.

Since I don't want to buy a sevey sim it was obvious that the only way forward was to update it with the iPad baseband or keep it locked. I decided that I'd rather have it with the iPad baseband, knowing exactly what that would mean.

My problem however was just that I landed in a bricked mode and I needed help going forward.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I have gotten advice and I have finished the jailbreak successfully :)

iLoyal

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Hi. Thanks for your response. I did in fact way my options.
Firstly, I bought the phone believe that it was factory unlocked as the seller had told me and thus I updated and that was that. No going back on that one.

Since I don't want to buy a sevey sim it was obvious that the only way forward was to update it with the iPad baseband or keep it locked. I decided that I'd rather have it with the iPad baseband, knowing exactly what that would mean.

My problem however was just that I landed in a bricked mode and I needed help going forward.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I have gotten advice and I have finished the jailbreak successfully :)

Bricked mode as in? It would help if you identify which step did you completed and stuck at. If anything, for now I assume you need TU to put it in DFU recovery mode and kick it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.