iOS 4.3.5 to iOS 5 Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Boogsephine, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

Hey all.

Here is the issue I'm having. I'm using an iPhone 4 32GB on iOS 4.3.5 and using the Gevey SIM with T-Mobile. Lately I've been having a problem where I can't hear the people that call me or that I call and end up having to hang up and call them right back. I was going to have my buddy swap my phone out at the Apple Store he manages but he told me all of their new replacement phones come with iOS 5 on it. I wouldn't be able to use my Gevey SIM then. :(

So I followed the instructions on this webpage:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/preserve-iphone-ios-5-baseband/

I created the custom .ipsw, booted into DFU mode and tried to restore using the new .ipsw that redsn0w created. When I try to do the update, I get this error message:

[​IMG]

When I click the 'More Information' button, it takes me here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I'm at a loss on what to do next. My phone still boots back up properly to the 4.3.5 OS and I can still use it but the software glitch that makes me unable to hear the callers most of the time is really getting annoying.

The phone is NOT jailbroken. I am running iTunes 10.5.1 and I only threw the Gevey SIM in and use the phone for talk, text and web.. nothing else.

Any ideas?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can't go to OS5 because Apple has stopped signing this firmware (Unless you have SHSH blob for it). You can only go to 5.0.1 now.

3. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the 5.0.1 an official release or one of the beta versions? The only 5.x .ipsw that was on the site I was using was the one I downloaded which is iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw.

If I can use redsn0w and the 5.0.1 to create a new .ipsw that preserves my baseband, I'll do it that way.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

1. 5.0.1 is official release.
    2. Redsn0w will create customs fw for you while preserving baseband if you have Mac.
    3. When you jailbreak 5.0.1, When using redsn0w, make sure you point to the OS5 instead of 5.0.1.
    4. Just make sure you understand, 5.0.1 is tethered jailbreak. However, semi tether works on 5.0.1 as well and you can install it once you jailbreak your phone.

5. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I'm using my Mac to do everything with this. I don't need the phone to be jailbroken as I only use it for calls and texts mainly. So if I download the official 5.0.1 and use redsn0w to create the .ipsw for preserving my baseband, I should be able to load it in the same way?

I've read about the tethered jailbreaks but since I don't need it for that purpose, does it HAVE to be jailbroken?

6. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

Edit: I downloaded the 5.0.1 and tried to load it into redsn0w and I get this error message:

[​IMG]

Bleh.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you don't need the phone to be JB, then why are you trying to use Redsn0w or anything else? :confused:

Just plug your phone to itunes and click "restore". It will install 5.0.1 and be done.

Edit: I guess I missed read your OP, you are on T-mobile with an AT&T iphone, you want to keep your iPhone unlock if i am not mistaken, I don't thin that Gevey SIM works on iOS5, but i'll let someone who used it answer I haven;t try it.

8. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

This. The only way that the Gevey SIM will work is if you preserve the baseband of the 4.3.x firmware. I can't figure out a way to get the iOS5 build to work with redsn0w to load on to keep that same baseband. The phone is still usable but very very annoying when I have to call the person back numerous times before being able to hear them. :eek:

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Pwnage tool will create a custom IPSW for you and then you can install it using Itunes, however I don't believe that it had been updated yet to support 5.0.1, so you may be just SOL and need to wait a bit

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I got the same message, but I'm happy with 5.0.1 for now, so I'm just waiting until the untethered jailbreak is released.

11. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you using a Gevey SIM with 5.0.1? I wouldn't mind having 5.x on mine but the only thing holding me back was being able to use it with a Gevey SIM.

If I can figure out how to get 5.0.1 on with my preserved baseband, I'd be happy.

12. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

On a side note, I have another question.

I know that the jailbreak for 4.3.5 is tethered but that is only for the jailbreak part, right? I could jailbreak my device and still use it for the calling and texting purpose if I had to restart it, correct?

I'm thinking I can jailbreak the device, back up my SHSH blobs and try to go to iOS 5 (preserving my baseband) and if it doesn't work properly downgrade back to 4.3.5. This is achievable and a legit way to get back to 4.3.5 if iOS 5 doesn't solve anything.

As long as I can use the phone for calling, texting and web, I don't care if it's a tethered JB since I don't use anything in Cydia.

13. Boogsephine thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone? I have read in some other threads about the tethered jailbreak and such but I need to figure out how to get iOS 5 on this device while still preserving the baseband. I'd really like to back up the SHSH blobs before doing anything so I can go back to where I'm at right now.

Like I stated before.. not too concerned with it being a tethered jailbreak. If the phone dies and things I use in Cydia and so forth don't work, no biggy. I just need to be able to use the phone and texting option.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can't get 5.0 anymore forget about it 5.0.1 is your option. There are no shsh blobs anymore Apple fixed that with 5.0 and above. IClarified has all your
    tutorials. People have already told you what to do.