iOS 4.3 autocorrect changes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xenc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Xenc, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Autocorrect in iOS 4.3 now tracks two words as you type. For example, "lessvmistakes" becomes "less mistakes". This is a neat little addition that is so natural to use that I didn't even realise its presence.

It does need a little work, though, as it just tried to autocorrect "autocorrect" to "author Rex". I'm not sure how I managed to trigger "undies IRS" earlier either, but it sure gave me a chuckle.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Oh thank you Lord! I always accidently hit the "n" button instead of the space bar when typing fast and it's annoying. Youngetnansentencenlikenthis.

3. wtmcghee macrumors member

When I read this thread title I was hoping you were going to say it now learns words you type in over time. I guess we are still waiting for this?

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I must say that this is an awesome update to autocorrect. I tested it out and it works very well.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It already does that. You have to hit the "x" on the word it wants to autocorrect to and do that a few times for it to learn the word.

6. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

There is a custom dictionary, but you cannot explicitly add words to it. The more you type a word, and the more you correct autocorrect to it, the more likely it will appear. Names from your Contacts are also part of the custom dictionary by default.

7. wtmcghee macrumors member

Yea it learns it for a short while but will forget it again if you don't continue to use it. I'd like there to be a dictionary where it learns everything, that you say is correct, permanently. Seems like something that would be easy to implement and that everyone would like as a feature.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I guess I never noticed that. Good to know.

9. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

for reals?
    i think we just found a loop hole fellas! just make a contact with all of the dirty words, and the words you don't want to be auto corrected.

EDIT:and on testing. doesn't work.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you can add your own words. in Settings> General> Keyboard, click on "International Keyboards" and add Chinese - Simplified, once this has been added, go back to the Keyboard menu (sometimes you might need to restart your phone to get this option) you will see a User Dictionary, then you can add custom words.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Why don't they just make it available to other languages? Ugh. Nice workaround though.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I've only been able to get a User Dictionary from adding Chinese - Simplified, I don't understand why.

13. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Haha, nice idea though!

Cool tip. I was exploring the Chinese and Japanese keyboards and there's some interesting things in there (such as ten key input, stylus input, unicode characters and text emoticons).