iOS 4.3 - Much better 3G retention?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Ryan-, Mar 4, 2011.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I upgraded to iOS 4.3 GM last night on my iPhone 4. Previously to this on each software version I have used, I will keep 1 bar of 3G signal in my house, but this often drops down to Edge. Since upgrading, the 3G signal sits at a solid 3 bars, showing increased speed on speed tests and has only dropped down to Edge once. Similarly, while shopping, my phone shows 5 bars of signal, where previously on 3G it showed only 2. Has anyone else noticed this drastic 3G enhancement? :)

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

For that to be the case, the baseband update would have been more than just a bug fix. This is the first I've heard of it (and people would have been screaming about it from the rooftops), so chances are it is just a coincidence.

3. gpc17 macrumors regular

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Wow, it looks like the notorious formula for calculating the number of bars "accidentally" made it's way into iOS again...

5. Moe UK macrumors regular

Yes I think you might be right, Vodafone signal sucks on my street and now after 4.3 I seem to be getting a full 5 bars GPRS this morning, will test near a window as I can generally get one or two bars 3G there.

6. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I have been getting some weird decibel readings in my apartment with my iphone 4 and 4.3 GM. Yes, I am showing 5 bars quite often where previously it would be 3, sometimes 4 tops (a range of roughly 80 dBm to 95 dBm or so).

However, when I do the *3001#12345#* and go to the window I sometimes see 57 dBm which is ridiculous. The minimum I believe is 51 dBm so to get 57 I would practically have to be right next to the tower which is rubbish.

So can the rest of you in this thread (and others browsing it) advise what your signal strength allegedly is in dBm?

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I support this.

-105dB is two bars here. It used to be 1 bar.

8. Ktm.Moto macrumors member

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It has not been made generally available, and the number of bugs I've found is astonishingly high.

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

He can still get it tho....

Just search iOS 4.3 GM download in google and youll prob find a link

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I didn't say he couldn't get it. I am not going to tell said user how to get it either.

15th bug report opened today.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

CAREFUL downloading developer previews! Just because it says GM doesn't mean its the same GM that will get released. If a large amount of bugs are found it will get another release before being made public.

13. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

And these bugs are?

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm wondering the same. Any show stoppers?

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Issue with App Store telling me that I have updates available. Apparently I have 1, but I can't seem to find out what it is. It just won't go away.

If number of app updates exceed the view controller area, you cannot scroll through the list of updates.

Issue with hanging up a call on an iPhone 3GS

Issue with WiFi connectivity on some iPads/iPod Touches: some just refuse to connect to a WiFi network.

Issue with Microsoft Exchange Push

Issue with the way app downloads are handled upon interface interruption, e.g. network no longer available.

Issue with some language and typeset menus, try to play the Monopoly game on iOS 4.3. I am able to reproduce this in a few apps of mine.

When Personal Hotspot is on, the table cell in settings does not accurately reflect this, and does not display 'On'.

Those are a few, but I cannot give you the others, as those are covered by the NDA.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Thanks for the insight. Now deciding if I want to upgrade early yet or not. Thanks!

17. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

It seems as if we go through this every time an update to iOS is released.
    The GM is the version that will be released to the general public if these so called bugs are true bugs, then it will be fixed in a .1 release at some other date.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Or they could do what they did last time, skip the GM and release .1.

19. antmarobel macrumors 6502

antmarobel

My iPhone 5 bluetooth does not work in any way...:mad:

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Typing fail, or is time machine really a time machine?

21. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

A further update - I have been visiting a rural area this evening where I previously have got permanent zero signal, as in no service. Now it flicks between Searching... and one bar. As such I am not willing to put this down to Apple doing their 'adjustments' - I think they have actually refined something ever so slightly.

22. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i have also noticed a few bugs.

one is when u are in the featured section in the app store, open an app then go back to the list of apps the one you opened is still highlighted until you close the app store.

also the vibrate when getting a text has changed. it vibrates twice really quickly. i dont know if thats a tweak or a bug.

and ios 4.3 just feels not as smooth as 4.2.1. i think another beta would have been good. or maybe another quick golden master on wed before release on fri.

23. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

The seed notes say that the vibration thing (2 instead of one) is actually a "new feature", so texts can be recognized different from new emails.

As for the smoothness of the software I find it as smooth as butta. :)

24. nunes013, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i thought it was new, i like it. my was wasnt smooth but i just did a hard reset ands its pretty good now. i just wish that app store thing was fixed. i have a big page of blue when im done lol

Attached Files:

25. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Rofl, I wonder if people like you sniff your own farts as you type sentences like that.