iOS 4.3: Mute Switch still doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xxTK421xx, Mar 10, 2011.

1. xxTK421xx macrumors newbie

They went through all the trouble of letting us pick between a mute switch and orientation lock, but the mute option still doesn't work. It shows the mute icon but it doesn't have any effect on the sound.

It's not a big deal to me because I use the orientation lock, but it's kinda funny that they still haven't figured out how to fix this problem.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Settings->General doesn't list "Use Side Switch to:" with choices of "Lock Rotation" and "Mute" that you can tap on to switch the function of the side switch?

It does on mine...

3. xxTK421xx thread starter macrumors newbie

No no, I'm not saying they didn't add the option to switch. They did. It's just that before 4.3, the mute switch didn't do anything. It just displayed the mute icon on screen. After the update I thought they would have fixed this but they didn't. You can pick between mute and orientation lock but the mute option STILL doesn't work.

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I think the purpose of the mute switch is only to disable sounds for notifications...not music or movies or anything.

At least that is the only thing the mute switch has muted for me.

5. xxTK421xx thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? That's incredibly useless, isn't it? I'm so glad they brought back the orientation lock for the side switch. Very handy, for me anyway.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Ah, I misunderstood then.

It seems to be selective, muting some things and not all. Games mute, as do keyboard clicks, but music (Pandora / iPod) do not.

Volume-down held in for a second does seem to cut volume all the way, if that helps. Not a true mute, I know.

7. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I will be using the Lock for my iPad 2. A better choice, in my opinion.. since the volume buttons are RIGHT there.

8. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

It is useless for me as well but a lot of people brought up the point of it being the middle of the night and you start getting e-mails so all you have to do is flip a switch to shut the sound off rather than unlocking it so you can use the volume rocker keys to mute it.

Personally, I keep the volume all the way down anyway unless I am specifically doing something that requires sound. I used the orientation lock all the time though so I am very excited that this is now an option. I am hoping to have time to install the update tonight!

9. poloponies Suspended

If you suddenly get pop-ups or other notifications in a meeting then it's very handy, indeed.