iOS 4.3 on iPad 1.. 2nd thoughts??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinger, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Pinger macrumors regular

Has anyone else found the first gen. iPad has gotten slower and not as smooth since the last 2 updates??? My thinking is iOS is being developed towards the hardware in the iPad 2 which would naturally cause the iPad 1 struggle, kind of like installing iOS 4.3 on a 2nd or 3rd gen. iPhone... Battery life had definitely taken a hit with 4.3 and Safari has not been nearly as flawless as it was with the original iOS..
    Thinking of reverting back to original iOS on my iPad, has anyone else gone this route??? I'm worried my apps will be buggy going back seeing most have been modded and updated for iOS 4.3..
    Just so no flame throwers jump in here, I didn't start this thread as a bitch rather a true assessment of what I'm experiencing... I love my iPad and totally understand if what I am experiencing is due to the iOS 4.3 upgrade being geared towards the ipad2..

2. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

3. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I dont know how it has affected battery life.....seems like that would be a bug.....I will say that I am positive my safari has slowed, my wife still have 4.2 and I tested before and after.

Hers beats mine every single time on multiple web pages tried.

Dont know if I'll be paying attention to benchmarks much anymore.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

My biggest issue is that they killed the 100mA power on the connector, which subsequently made the camera connector pretty useless to me (they did this in 4.2).

As for battery life - I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in my daily use, at least not to the point where it's become a significant issue. I also use Atomic Web Browser, so can't speak to any degradation in Safari - but it's interesting the note that someone compared before and after and found 4.3 to be slower.

I suppose it's not completely surprising given that the 2 is out with a newer and faster chip. I'm guessing I may be holding off on subsequent updates unless there's something that really makes a difference.

5. JohnDG macrumors member

I've noticed much better virtual memory management and web page pictures are displayed quicker. Somebody benchmarked the JavaScript engine that there is a very measurable difference.

Battery usage while the iPad is sleeping is impacted if you do not put it in Airplane mode. There may be some new background tasks clunking around.

jdg

6. Pinger thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could say the same lol... Safari most definitely slower and buggier here(reloads are slow and at times I have to hit the "x" while a loading page gets stuck and then hit the reload for the site to load)..
    emw, I'm with you, if find myself using Atomic more then ever now..

Has anyone reverted back to iOS 3.2.2 and found app glitches???

7. windmill83 macrumors member

My iPad 1 is also slower and less responsive after upgrading to 4.3. Not only is it slower, I sometimes have to press Safari icons two or three times before it takes.

8. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

This is upsetting that Apple has already started to slow the original iPad. I have the 3G iPhone and it is almost useless on the later updates. It's like Apple purposely makes the updates downgrade the performance of older generations to force upgrade. I love Apple, but that is shady.

I have an iPad 1 coming this week. How can I downgrade to the older OS if it comes with the latest? Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

9. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Just saw this video showing speed improvements on iPad 1 from 4.2 to 4.3. Any idea why this one would be faster and others are experiencing slowdowns?

10. dizzy130 macrumors member

4.3 has made my original iPad smoother and faster. I'm using terra and not safari (wanted tabs) but I think it has improved too. And I love having the orientation lock switch back!

11. ThReMiX macrumors member

Don't kid your self, the iPad 2 has a ton of bugs, i think it's 4.3 and not the hardware of iPad 1 or 2. Look around, there's a lot of talk of crashing and freezing.

12. frank33v macrumors member

mine too...is slower with 4.3

Can we revert to 4.2 or are we stuck with 4.3 now ?

13. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

No major differences in battery or Safari.

Having said that I couldn't load Safari at all yesterday (would shutdown as soon as I clicked on the icon) so had to reset up my iPad from scratch as the restore to an earlier back up didn't resolve the issue.

14. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I am finding that it bogs down more since 4.3. Also it tends to throw me out of an app before I am ready to go:mad: Also has made syncing to itunes more of a challenge than it was before:(:(:confused:

15. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you guys done a "Reset All Settings". That fixed many problems on mine. Or, tried a complete clean reinstall of ios?

16. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am just wondering if people noticing differences between on their iPad 1 has anything to do with the difference between 3g and non 3g devices...

If you do find a difference or not, can you post which type you are using?