iOS 4.3 still lacking most needed feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostraven, Jan 13, 2011.

1. frostraven macrumors member

frostraven

I still don't get why Apple hasn't given in to the massive demand since day 1, but custom SMS tones should have been implemented ages ago. I mean if basic free flip phones handed out by Verizon or AT&T for years have been allowing you to do it, how the heck is the Apple still keeping away from this feature?

I know this has been discussed heavily before in a lot of different places but I guess since the news of iOS 4.3 beta being released with no mention of SMS tones, it's rekindling the agitation. Boggles the mind.

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

It is a cool feature but most needed feature?
    I would rather have a new notification system than this.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

"Most needed feature"?
    While I think it is a nice feature to have, I personally wouldn't see it as the most needed feature

There are several others more important to me, but we each have our own priorities

4. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

5. frostraven thread starter macrumors member

frostraven

6. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I looks pretty good. I don't know about the spotlight thing though.
    I wish apple would hire the guys from the BiteSMS team to design their notification system(I know but one can dream right....)

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think that's an excellent description...and if not 'Day 1', certainly not later than the second revision, so 'Day 2'!;)
    I thought that the additional Apple made tones were a first step in that direction, but why it's taking them this long to implement a heavily requested feature is beyond me...

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

SMS? Lol!

The iPhone need to revamp their entire notification/profile system. They need to look to Blackberry for guidance! This is my biggest dissapointment with the iPhone. I would not mind a blinking led either.:eek:

9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

A blue LED behind the speaker or something would be quite cool.

10. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I don't understand why they haven't done this already. They could do something like this in a day's time.

I would LOVE LED notifications, that's one of the reasons I loved the Blackberry so much.

11. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Kind of off subject but BiteSMS allows you to do this and it is very nice to have in meetings.

12. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

God that would look so tacky. Blinking LED is just ugly on a phone however if they wanted to implement something like that I would have just made the home button light up or blink to signal a notification.

With the reports that Apple is moving away from buttons at all on the face indicates that this wont happen and that there will never be a notification LED.

13. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

"Most needed feature" is a decent notifications system.

14. obe1k macrumors newbie

obe1k

What baffles me is that they call it 'the world's most advanced mobile operating system'. How is it that the most advanced system can't even do the most basic of things that just about every other phone can?(and without buying extra software)

It's not a deal breaker, but it seems like someone over there at apple just forgot something! It's like buying a nice car without a driver's door...

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

jailbreak your phone and live free, dont wait for apple to give you something they havnt in 4 years

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There would be other things I would like to see before custom SMS tones.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

IMO, the most needed feature is lockscreen notifications, similar to LockInfo and TeehanLax's Element.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I echo the other posters who question whether custom sms tones are really the most needed feature.

Sure it will be nice, but needed.

There are other features that are higher on the list, like the notification system.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Give apple a break, they had everyone working double time finding the cheapest camera they could find for the iPad 2. Now that it's being shipped, they'll be able to get back to the important stuff.

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I disagree.

This is not a most needed feature.

22. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Exactly +1 for improved notification system

23. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I'm just thrilled they FINALLY implemented a way to input a passcode with dialing - so when I dial my weekly conference call, I can make it pause, then input the passcode automatically, rather than having to manually input it (which is a pain every time they decide to change the phone # and passcode)

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My thinking is that Apple hasn't allowed custom SMS tones because that feature will be integrated into a OS-wide change in the notification system. Hopefully this summer we will see an entirely re-vamped notification system, and with that we'll also see more granularity for customizing those notifications, including the ability to use custom SMS tones, and perhaps other system tones, as well.