iOS 4 and Wallpapers on iPod Touch 2G.. A Fail!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sM4llziE, Jun 19, 2010.

1. sM4llziE macrumors newbie

OK, am using the iPod Touch 2G with Multitasking and its working fine, but if i enable Home screen wallpapers (Using iFile) It starts to lag the iPod Touch.

So how can the 2G Run multitasking, but not a wallpaper?

Is there any suggestions to stop the lag when using the wallpaper?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

These should not be enabled on your iPod - are you sure you installed the iOS 4 for 2nd gen and not 3rd gen?

3. na1577 macrumors 6502a

^ It is not possible to install firmwares designed for different devices. Multitasking and wallpapers, however, can be enabled in the 2G firmware through a simple hack.

@the OP
    Are you sure it's not the combination of multitasking + wallpapers? Have you tried disabling multitasking?

4. Biker macrumors regular

5. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

That's what it sounds like to me ;)

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Apparently, there's some preference list and some drop shadows that let the wallpapers work on 3rd Gen iPod touches. My best guess is that whatever application you're using for backgrounds lags the system by creating to much "chatter" - if you will - outside of the system, as opposed to within a plist inside the system.

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I got wallpaper and multitasking running on my 2G using the redsn0w 9.5 option and I am finding it all appears to be running quite smoothly but I only have one home page with 4 folders.

There is around 10MB-12MB less ram available running on 4.0 compared to the average free ram I had on 3.1.3 which seem to add a second or 2 to some app load times but aside from that I have not had any significant problems.

Other than the stock apps I only have one app so far that has been updated for iOS 4.0 and it resumes nicely with multitasking but when switching back to the iPod app there is a slight lag as album art reloads.

I think if you started multitasking a number of resource hungry apps like 3D games etc you will run into problems on the 2G but it seems to be able to shuffle through a hand full of less demanding apps like safari, mail, iTunes etc relatively well.

Loving the screen rotation lock feature a lot more than I thought I would, it is so nice not randomly be going into coverflow when I put my device down or preventing apps from flipping when lying down.