iOS 4 cellular <-> iOS 7 WiFi chat apps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by patent10021, Nov 1, 2013.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I have a friend who still on iOS 4 (mobile) and I'm on an iOS 7 iPod.

Are there any chat apps that we can use? I tried the native Message app typing in my friend's mobile phone number but it wouldn't work.

Do we have to use strictly email addresses for the Messages app?

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you both have Facebook? In that case you could use their Messenger app, that way you'll be able to chat with the rest of your Facebook contacts as well.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Can the Messenger app be installed on iOS 4? Anyway, I'm looking for more of a direct simplified solution just for us two.

Can we use the basic iOS Messages app? Normally phone numbers are used for SMS but in this case can we just use email addresses via MMS?

4. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I think you and your friend were attempting to iMessage. You need at least iOS 5 for that.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You can use email or SMS (using phone numbers). Alternatively, as suggested, another messenger app like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, etc., etc., etc.

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp. I hope you don't mind me asking, but why is your friend still on iOS 4?

7. kkkkk macrumors newbie

I think there's a separate version of Viber that is designed for older devices like the iPhone 3G which should support iOS 4. And you could use the normal version on iOS 7. :)

8. shandyman Suspended

I don't think whatsapp will work on an iPod as it requires a number to work.

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

He can use any phone number for Viber including landline. If he has a basic cellphone, he can use the number for that to create the Viber account. Not sure if you can do the same for whatsapp.

10. shandyman Suspended

iPod and iPad both say invalid device, unless you use a workaround involving connecting to a computer and some software.

11. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Was that on whatsapp? If so, try Viber. I've tested that on my iPod Touch (4th gen) before so I now that used to work.