patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I have a friend who still on iOS 4 (mobile) and I'm on an iOS 7 iPod.

Are there any chat apps that we can use? I tried the native Message app typing in my friend's mobile phone number but it wouldn't work.

Do we have to use strictly email addresses for the Messages app?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have a friend who still on iOS 4 (mobile) and I'm on an iOS 7 iPod.

Are there any chat apps that we can use? I tried the native Message app typing in my friend's mobile phone number but it wouldn't work.

Do we have to use strictly email addresses for the Messages app?

Do you both have Facebook? In that case you could use their Messenger app, that way you'll be able to chat with the rest of your Facebook contacts as well.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Can the Messenger app be installed on iOS 4? Anyway, I'm looking for more of a direct simplified solution just for us two.

Can we use the basic iOS Messages app? Normally phone numbers are used for SMS but in this case can we just use email addresses via MMS?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I think you and your friend were attempting to iMessage. You need at least iOS 5 for that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can use email or SMS (using phone numbers). Alternatively, as suggested, another messenger app like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, etc., etc., etc.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp. I hope you don't mind me asking, but why is your friend still on iOS 4?

kkkkk

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
I think there's a separate version of Viber that is designed for older devices like the iPhone 3G which should support iOS 4. And you could use the normal version on iOS 7. :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't think whatsapp will work on an iPod as it requires a number to work.
He can use any phone number for Viber including landline. If he has a basic cellphone, he can use the number for that to create the Viber account. Not sure if you can do the same for whatsapp.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
He can use any phone number for Viber including landline. If he has a basic cellphone, he can use the number for that to create the Viber account. Not sure if you can do the same for whatsapp.

iPod and iPad both say invalid device, unless you use a workaround involving connecting to a computer and some software.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPod and iPad both say invalid device, unless you use a workaround involving connecting to a computer and some software.
Was that on whatsapp? If so, try Viber. I've tested that on my iPod Touch (4th gen) before so I now that used to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.