iOS 4 Feature - Group Messaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citron230, Jun 22, 2010.

1. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I noticed that when I receive a message from someone that was sent to a group the names or phone numbers of everyone else in the group is also sent with the message so I can reply to everyone within the group. I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed this, but I thought this was a really cool feature.

2. CaliKev macrumors member

CaliKev

i hope this is a bug. i dont want people who dont know each other to have their numbers or whatever. But I guess it wont really matter if their name isnt attached to them.

3. outphase macrumors 65816

If you don't want people to see the group, don't send as a group. It's not a bug because it's fully intended behavior.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's a stupid behavior. What about people who send mass texts of things like "Merry Christmas!" to everyone in their contacts?

5. 41qser macrumors regular

It's only stupid to people like you who waste time and SMS's with inane general mass-texting like that.

As a receiver, I *WANT* to know if I'm the only recipient.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

WTF? I never said I send messages like that. This isn't standard SMS behavior, so I don't get why Apple implemented it that way. There's no need to be a jerk.

7. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Yeah noticed that too. Sent the info as address book info. Now i know the complete info (email, birthday, numbers, etc) of at least 3 people who I barely even know. Kinda weird if you ask me

8. ViPa macrumors 6502a

can someone elaborate on the function of this feature?

9. matttnyc macrumors newbie

If you go int o Setting > Messages you will see an option for group messages. You can enable or disable this from happening. If you disable it, I'm guessing it will go back to what it used to do which is come in as a single message to you.

10. brayner macrumors newbie

MMS does

This behaviour is because Group Messaging (when enabled) is treated as an MMS (which are basically email messages sent through the Messaging app)

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek