Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Finally we got a sneak peak of iOS 4 — 4.2 precisely — for our beloved iPads.

Out in November, Multitasking and Folders features are going to have the same user interface of the iPhone version, and this could be a little downside for a lot of users.

I was very surprised not to see a new key feature for that big screen.
Do you think we have to wait 'til iOS 5 to see a real mobile computing OS for this new "mobile computing" device?

Anyway, at least we are now sure that we'll have Multitasking — you know that a lot of users were claiming that iOS 4 would have been fully available only for the second generation iPad.

So, what do you think?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I saw a key new feature, it was called printing. On top of what's in iOS 4, that's exactly what I wanted.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
There are already tons of features in the IOS 3.2 line that haven't shown up in IOS 4.1x.

There are a bunch of UI elements like Split View and Popovers, Vector graphic stuff (bezier curves, etc), tons of new text handling API's (how do you think iWorks Pages and Numbers does its stuff -- not possible in 4.1x.)

All of these features are on the iPad now, and not available on iPod Touch or iPhone iOS 4.1x.

It's possible that iPhone and iPod touch people won't get those features until well after November.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006

Attachments

• Schermata 2010-09-01 a 21.00.04.png
    Schermata 2010-09-01 a 21.00.04.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 609

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
This is awesome but I'd really like to see some more features, you know, get surprised!! But there's some time till November...

Yeah, the webpage about iOS 4.2 for iPad is really cryptic and "tiny". I hope for new cool features.

For example, one feature I really miss is the possibility to search for a text in the webpage I'm visiting — and this will be included! But no mentions at the event, so maybe there will be some new features in time for November.

brett429

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Ok, stupid question, but I'm at work and couldn't watch the stream, so I've only picked up bits and pieces.

Something was mentioned about not all devices being eligible - for what?

I just want to make sure my 16GB Wifi iPad will, in fact, be getting 4.2. Thanks!

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Ok, stupid question, but I'm at work and couldn't watch the stream, so I've only picked up bits and pieces.

Something was mentioned about not all devices being eligible - for what?

I just want to make sure my 16GB Wifi iPad will, in fact, be getting 4.2. Thanks!

Calm down, every iPad will have the full iOS 4! ;)

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
No no, that's referring to Original iPhone and 1G Touch won't get the 4.1/4.2 update because they didn't get the 4.0 update. Your iPad will get 4.2

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Now a hot question:
Now that we know for sure that iOS 4 for iPad won't have new special features — except wifi printing — and will have the same Multitasking and Folders interface and concept ... WHY it took and it's still taking SO LONG to be launched?

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Now a hot question:
Now that we know for sure that iOS 4 for iPad won't have new special features — except wifi printing — and will have the same Multitasking and Folders interface and concept ... WHY it took and it's still taking SO LONG to be launched?

I thought we just talked about this. We DON'T know for sure that there are no new features! Jobs introduced a couple, a "sneak peak" but that won't probably be it!

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Can't wait :d multitasking,folders,printing,air tunes and maybe even more features.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I thought we just talked about this. We DON'T know for sure that there are no new features! Jobs introduced a couple, a "sneak peak" but that won't probably be it!

Yes ok, this is true, but usually a sneak peak show the best features, as Jobs did at the April iOS event: he showed Multitasking and Folders.

Anyway, I'm still hoping. :)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
There are already tons of features in the IOS 3.2 line that haven't shown up in IOS 4.1x.

There are a bunch of UI elements like Split View and Popovers, Vector graphic stuff (bezier curves, etc), tons of new text handling API's (how do you think iWorks Pages and Numbers does its stuff -- not possible in 4.1x.)

All of these features are on the iPad now, and not available on iPod Touch or iPhone iOS 4.1x.

It's possible that iPhone and iPod touch people won't get those features until well after November.

I doubt the iPhone and iPod Touch will ever get split views and popovers, as those UI elements only make sense on a larger screen. I'm also pretty sure that Core Text is available in iOS 4.0.

Liam8

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Yeah, the webpage about iOS 4.2 for iPad is really cryptic and "tiny". I hope for new cool features.

For example, one feature I really miss is the possibility to search for a text in the webpage I'm visiting — and this will be included! But no mentions at the event, so maybe there will be some new features in time for November.

There is a way to have a find button for iPad on Safari, I have it. Having said that i forget how i did it. I'll find you guys a link!

The Way I did it

You guys will have to do some working it out on your own, I remember it not being as straight forward as the website said.

I believe its easier to make the bookmark on your computer then sync it over to your iPad. :)

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
There is a way to have a find button for iPad on Safari, I have it. Having said that i forget how i did it. I'll find you guys a link!

The Way I did it

You guys will have to do some working it out on your own, I remember it not being as straight forward as the website said.

I believe its easier to make the bookmark on your computer then sync it over to your iPad. :)

Yeah I found this javascript trick too, very useful.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Why wait until November? Plenty of the alternative browsers like Atomic already have this feature built in. Besides, even Safari is already capable of it.

http://www.ipuhelin.com/en/safariplus/

These are "bookmarklets", little snippets of Javascript that will add a ton of functionality to Safari. I've been using them since about a week after I got my iPad--some three months ago. Found out how in a search on this forum, in fact, and found the linked site which makes them super easy to implement posted in the iPhone side. Use it direct from the ipad or iphone in Safari, no computer required. And no jailbreak required.

Edit--we all had the same idea at once, I see!

Pat123

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
One interesting thing is that iOS 4.2 is coming for all iOS devices and not only for iPad! It isnt like iOS 3.2 which was iPad-exclusive. Probably a step in the right direction towards unification of the code-base of iOSes for iPhones and iPads.

One immediate advantage I can see is that we will have the same set of APIs for all devices, which would probably mean that jailbreak apps would work on all iOS devices once 4.2 comes(ofcourse, not considering the graphical aspect of the apps, only the code)! It may mean goodbye to incompatible cydia apps that run well on iPhone but not on iPad.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
One interesting thing is that iOS 4.2 is coming for all iOS devices and not only for iPad! It isnt like iOS 3.2 which was iPad-exclusive. Probably a step in the right direction towards unification of the code-base of iOSes for iPhones and iPads.

One immediate advantage I can see is that we will have the same set of APIs for all devices, which would probably mean that jailbreak apps would work on all iOS devices once 4.2 comes(ofcourse, not considering the graphical aspect of the apps, only the code)! It may mean goodbye to incompatible cydia apps that run well on iPhone but not on iPad.
I was very disappointed with the iPad sneak-peak. I was really hoping they are taking all this time to make something better for the ipad in terms of menu customization (not just folders) and multitasking (expose, or somekind of resizing windows thingie).

Nothing new, I will wait for iPad 2 for sure. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.