Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iPad' started by Applenewstoday, Aug 12, 2010.
What do you think iOS 4 for the iPad will do? How will apple perfect the iPad's OS?
Perhaps it won't suck like 3.2?
Again, I couldn't agree more lol
lol, yeah it really feels half assed to me.
Honestly, I don't think 3.2 is bad at all. Sure some of the multitasking things may be nice but aren't necessary. The fast app switching would be useful in some situations tho. Folders aren't a necessity for me, and frankly I wouldn't want the folder implementation from the current iOS4 on the iPad... it'd just be so ugly. Then again I spend about 50% of my time in Safari switching between various tabs. The other 50% consists of: 20% remote access (VNC/LogMeIN), 15% reading (iBooks/Kindle), 10% notes & billing, 5% games. I find it's a great tool for research and system administration. What's more is my battery lasts quite a long time. I routinely go 3 days (occasionally 5 depending on usage) on a single charge.
I'm looking forward to multi-tasking (so that I can run Skype in the background) and App Folders so that I can organise everything into one screen. And laser beams. I need frikkin' laser beams.
Perhaps it will have some kind of search function, whereby you could search the topics of forums to see whether your question has been asked and answered many times before. Now that would be magical and revolutionary.
I'd like to see the following:
1. Multi-tasking, obviously, but with a more "iPad-ish" implementation. However, I think Apple will take the same UI as the iPhone so it will look like Dashboard when you add a new widget - the whole damned screen slides up.
2. Widgets. Some way of running a clock in the background so I can set an alarm and not need to have the app running for it to go off. Just bring the clock app across from the iPhone, have it pop over the screen and let me set the alarm. Same thing for the weather, stocks, voice recorder etc. They don't need to be full blown apps with an icon on the screen for each, just give me a Dashboard-like app icon, touch it and whoosh... all these apps on screen at once.
3. UI tweaks. I want a more space efficient layout for the app screens. Give us five across in vertical and six horizontal. I dunno, something that makes it look less like a big iPod touch and more like the iPod touch's larger, more awesome brother. Let me hide the left had column in landscape split-screen view, have it slide in at the touch of a small button on the margin that appears when it slides back. I'd rather it be a tray than an always-visible window.
4. Printing. Yeah, tricky beast, not something easily solved but damn it'd be nice to just say "Print this document" from any app and bang, away it goes.
5. Not an iOS 4 thing at all but MORE AWESOME APPS. We seem to have hit a wall in app development for the iPad. I've had the same four pages of apps now for a good month or so. I think the only recent addition was Flipboard and that is very cool but where are the iPad versions of Skype? Proper newspaper apps that aren't just RSS feeds re-organised? It just feels a bit stagnant in iPad App Land.
6. Folders, definitely. I've got used to having all my apps on two pages on my iPhone. Yeah, flipping through another couple of pages is nothing but I'd still like some consistency across the whole product line.
7. Apps designed for the iPhone 4's retina display to work at full 960x640 on the iPad. There's no reason this can't happen, all the resources are there to run at full res but the iPad doesn't recognise the "@2x" files (I think they're "@2x", something like that) and these high-res apps are left running in a tiny window in the middle of my screen.
8. WiFi syncing of content to and from iTunes. Really Apple, these aren't the days of 802.11b - WiFi is fast now, everything you've sold for years supports 802.11n so why do I need to plug my iPad in every time I want to add some photos or a TV show or two? Let me pair my iPad like I do an AppleTV and transfer stuff wirelessly. Back it up wirelessly too please, if it's gonna need some time then let me know and I'll plug it in but usual back ups are fast and small.
9. For god's sake, DON'T pull me out of the App Store every time I download an app. Or, if you're going to do it, at least remember my spot so I can come back to. So annoying going through 10 or 11 pages and finding an app you want to buy only to come back into the app store and have to load those 10 pages again to continue where you left off.
10. Let me select SD Youtube over HD Youtube on the fly. HD Youtube is great but sometimes I just want to show someone a video and those big HD files can take ages to download. Just give me a quick "SD or HD" box to select and that'd be great.
11. Let me rotate photos.
Wow, thought this was going to be short. I've just noticed a distinct drop in iPad use since getting the iPhone 4 and I think the iPad is desperately in need of the new software.
My ideal features would be. . . . .
App switching via a 4-finger swipe and have it look like spaces or dashboard or 'stacks' in grid view. I don't think the current iPhone folder UI will suit the iPad.
I would also love folders in folders.
Also I hope that when I open a folder the dock icons are still available (they slide off screen on the iPhone when a folder is entered)
I totally see why the iOS was used for the iPad but given the nature of use (unlike the iPhone where most things are done with a thumb) I think the UI could benefit from some small tweaks that make it a little more computer and a little less big iPod touch.
Don't really know why people raw throwing such abuse at 3.2 software? Obviously we would like the new 4.0 features but the wait isn't killing me.
They need to do a lot of work in my opinion to make the OS more "fun-filled." They are probably taking they're time because they know iPad users want more. I hope we get more
Exactly. It is hard to go about without running Skype in the background. It is more annoying really.
Can't wait for multitasking...or the second gen. of the iPad for that matter.
I'm just looking forward to folders.
Talking about the OS is fine, but the really interesting things will hopefully be the built-in apps that will hopefully come with it. I really, for example, want the Photos app to be able to do more with photos i save from the Camera Connection Kit. At the very least, just being able to add a star rating or a comment or a title or something would mean i could do 90% of my sorting / filtering on-the-go with my iPad, and then do "proper" editing once i've transferred to Aperture. And just basic things like allowing an option to sort albums, etc. So simple, so needed, but just missing at the minute.
Or how about allowing the iPod app download new poodcasts automatically, based on subscriptions, rather than having to hunt down each new episode manually in iTunes?
Or sync wirelessly with my iMac so i don't have to keep messing about with the cable?
Folders and multitasking will be nice, of course, but much more intereested in what Apple can do to make their apps better.
I mostly want multitasking for news apps like pulse and flipbook, that way I can find a story, view it in safari(if necessary), & switch back to flipbook and be where I left off.
Besides all the the things said I want sone type of file system so I can downlode files and share them with my computer. And also maby play and interact with thoes files basically goodreader built in. It probably won't happen but it would be awsome
Can developers install ios 4 on iPad for testing? Or do they have to make do with some sort of simulator. Just curious.
I am looking forward to seeing more iPAD ORIGINAL THINGS.
Like having things more iPad oriented and not look at the OS and its just upscaled from a iPhone/iPod Touch.
(but then again i dont own one yet)
I want some more iPad orientated features. I also don't want the iPhone 4 to totally outclass it OS wise.
More than 12 apps per folder. The iPhone folder has that limitation but we've got a freakin huge screen for steve's sake. And more than 6 icons on the dock, please. We don't have to go through jailbreakin means to get that.
I realy like see these:
1- more keyboards like arabic, korean and more
2- of course folders and multitasking
3- dashboard would be awsome
4- more powerful safari with download manager
5- ability to sync mkv and avi movies with srt subtitle without converting
Is this tooooo mush?
I dont think so
At present, there's no way to test ipad apps on OS4. There's no simulator for it either. Devs haven't had any news about ipad OS4 plans.
Avi and mkv wont happen.
I'd like to be able to use safari and another app at the same time, maybe by having the ipad in landscape view and chat widow being in the place the folder list is in mail..
Id love an aperture app, just to connect to your aperture library to keyword and sort photos.
perhaps one way of making it slightly different to the smaller devices with iOS4 would be to have the multitasking menu like Expose rather than a double click to bring up the bar at the bottom.
Apple has been approving third party apps to play those files and I play avi files smoothly, just not for its native video app.