iOS 4 for iPhone: Group Messaging and + Symbol in App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mystermike, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mystermike macrumors newbie

I'm just trying to figure out if anyone out there know what the new Group Messaging setting is that came along with the new iOS 4 for iPhone today. Also, when I go to the App store, there are little plus signs in a square next to some apps...any idea what that is? :)

2. Merlinwiz macrumors member

I was wondering about the plus symbol too! It's bugging me now .

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The plus symbol indicates whether an app is available on the iPad.

4. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

The plus symbol indicates the application is cross-compatible with the iPad. The same application will be downloaded for both the iPhone and iPad.

More developers need to use this instead of making an "HD" application that you already paid for once before...

5. JRTeK macrumors member

"The new Group Messaging feature was disabled by default, but it simply groups incoming messages when you text multiple people. For example, if you text three people at once, when any of the recipients reply their message is listed in the group conversation window."

6. vettori macrumors 6502a

I'm the developer of a group SMS app ([app]ABContacts[/app]) and I don't have that option in my settings. Can anyone confirm that that setting works as above and has nothing related to sending messages ?

Thank you !!

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

So far it hasn't worked for me. I sent out a group text to A, B, and C. A replied, but it put the reply in an earlier conversation that I had with A. Maybe it only works if you don't already have a conversation going with the person in the group.

8. brayner macrumors newbie

In order for the replies to show up in the same thread, each user must also have Group Messaging enabled. Otherwise, their iPhone will handle it as a standard text message. If they have a Blackberry, it treats it like an individual MMS.

9. Jstat macrumors newbie

Only iPhone?

So maybe it only works with other OS4 users?

10. Jason B macrumors regular

This feature is cool, but at the same time it's dumb. Say I want to send a picture to 5 people, and I create a new MMS and attach 5 peoples names to it, (so I don't have to send 5 separate texts individually), well, now when any of those 5 people reply, EVERYONE see's their reply!!! Many people are getting mad at me, and it never used to do this. I was told at&t just turned a setting on, that makes everyone get and see your replies, even if "group messaging" is turned off. Mine is turned off, and this is driving me nuts.

11. RTMOWERY macrumors newbie

group messageing

does anybody know of a way to assign people in your contact list to a group so for instance if you wanted to send a "group" message to co-workers you could have them grouped in such a way that you just sent a message to "co-workers" and everybody in that group would get the message without you having to actually go in and add each persons name individually? if there is no way of doing this, well than dangit there should be.

12. vettori macrumors 6502a

Just use our app Group Text! (many features for texting) or ABContacts (less features for texting but also a contact manager). Link in signature, more info on http://www.redbits.com.

Happy Holidays :)