Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wackerow

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Sorry wackerow. Glad you took a second to consider the consequences. My bad.

No sweat.. it actually made me run a much needed backup on the phone anyway hah.

Sadly this still doesn't resolve anything. Every app that is released/updated since iOS 4 should simply have the requirement to provide that icon, and Apple needs to make sure they're being used. Oh well, hopefully they'll patch it soon.

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
No sweat.. it actually made me run a much needed backup on the phone anyway hah.

Sadly this still doesn't resolve anything. Every app that is released/updated since iOS 4 should simply have the requirement to provide that icon, and Apple needs to make sure they're being used. Oh well, hopefully they'll patch it soon.

Cool, I've booked a much needed eye test...
Hey, maybe time for a new thread "retina display destroys actual retinas???" LOL.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
What you're seeing is a scaled down 512x512px icon as the app is downloading. (Developers have always been required to submit a 512px icon for use in iTunes and the App Store on the desktop.) After it's done downloading, it uses the appropriate icon included inside the app bundle. (The 512px icons are not part of the app bundle. They're uploaded separately by developers.)

This is not a bug. This only happens because the developer has not updated the app to include an icon for the Retina display. (I do wonder though, why Apple chose to show the 512px icon during installation. Why not just show the low-res icon during installation too?)

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
What you're seeing is a scaled down 512x512px icon as the app is downloading. (Developers have always been required to submit a 512px icon for use in iTunes and the App Store on the desktop.) After it's done downloading, it uses the appropriate icon included inside the app bundle. (The 512px icons are not part of the app bundle. They're uploaded separately by developers.)

This is not a bug. This only happens because the developer has not updated the app to include an icon for the Retina display. (I do wonder though, why Apple chose to show the 512px icon during installation. Why not just show the low-res icon during installation too?)

Unfortunately, you are not correct (if you are talking about web apps, which is what I believe the OP was talking about).

I have developed several web app icons and irrespective of icon size (either 256x256px or 512x512px) the icon will still render blurred on the home screen itself.

It is either a software bug or a server-side bug; however, I suspect the it is the former, because the icon will render properly in the app clipping phase (where you can rename the web app).

More info:

http://blog.iwalt.com/2010/06/ios-4...g.html?cid=6a00d834558d7c69e2013485f95a18970c

Apparently the bug only exists when the web app is designed to run full screen (without the Safari browser chrome around it).

wackerow

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
No, not web apps. Legit applications. The issue is still there... it's dwindling over time as the retina display has now been available for 2 months, but I still have the issue on many apps that have simply not updated it seems.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
No, not web apps. Legit applications. The issue is still there... it's dwindling over time as the retina display has now been available for 2 months, but I still have the issue on many apps that have simply not updated it seems.

Ok, well in that case it is entirely up to the developer to replace the icon.

I'm far more interested in the web app bug (an actual problem with the operating system), because no matter what web app developers do they can't fix the problem themselves.

http://cl.ly/1wWe <--- see the difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.