iOS 4 Is Somewhat Buggy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Jun 30, 2010.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not sure about anyone else but I am noticing iOS 4 on my iPhone 4 is acting strange since purchase. Anyone else have some strange things going on?

For instance, I was looking at a photo in my photo album and went out to safari and then came back to the photo. No matter where I tapped on the screen, nothing happened. Nada. It was like frozen. I got out again and got back in. Same thing. So I opened the multitask tray and closed everything except safari. I went back in to my photo and all was fine.

Email sounds seem to be lagging behind. I get the email, see the email and the notification. 30 seconds later I get the sound - after I read the email. Also emails don't seem to be fetching right. They too seem to be a bit off.

Anyone notice that when you dial a number and hit send - previously it would go directly to the calling screen and you would instantly see the buttons for, mute, buttons, hold and such? Now, it takes a second or two before it "fades in". Another issue when making a call, the call will end, but sometimes the phone takes about 15 seconds to actually end. I hit END CALL and press the home button, the green banner pops up up top that states tap to go back to call. Again, very strange.

I am also noting that the signal bars ( I am aware of the reception issue and suffer from it) are all over the place. Sometimes with the phone just sitting, it can go from full service down to 1/2 bars. I was at a hospital today. The bars were all over the place there as well. Sitting in the same spot mind you. No bars, 2 bars, full bars, none. I could still make calls oddly enough. Although I did get a VM notice so I missed a called. After I checked and listened to my voice mail, it gave me a notice that it could not connect to visual voice mail.

Again, very odd occurrences. Anyone else?

2. Alphaspida macrumors member

I had a problem where the email app froze, but I came back to it and it was fine.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've had a bunch of bugs in 4.0 - email out of sync, ghost email messages, photo freezes, photos turn to black squares, etc etc

4. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

5. vkobejitsu macrumors newbie

The only thing that I have noticed so far with ios4 is the background image flickers from sometimes when making a call. It stops as soon as the call connects though.

6. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have a background wallpaper that when the phone has been asleep and I go to unlock it - the bright white lines of the wallpaper - FLASH like lightning. It's very strange. If I put the phone to sleep again and unlock - it doesn't do it. It seems to be only after it sits a while.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep, iOS 4 has a plethora of bugs. Definitely the most buggy iPhone OS yet. Along with the buggiest new hardware yet. What's going on, Apple? :(

9. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Rushing out products ;)

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

For about 2 minutes today I couldn't activate multi tasking no matter what I tried. :mad:

11. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Wow. That's crazy. Is it permanently like that or does it come and go?

Yes, Apple seems to be getting worse with every "new" iPhone release. Not bashing them or anything, it's just something I am noticing and it's not fun. I really enjoyed my 3G and that was my first Apple product. Love it and moved on to the 3GS which had a couple of issues they never fixed. Still love the iPhone. So, I bought the iPhone 4. It has lots more issue than the previous two combined. Lol. I don't know what's worse, my phone not working correctly as a phone or me still loving my iPhone even with those issues! Ugh. Sad. :(

12. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Imagine iOS4 on the iPhone 3G :(. Not only does it happen, it's happening all of the time. Every other time i press the freakin' Hold button it takes up to 5 seconds to turn the screen on...

13. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's been pretty buggy for me too. I get random messages for passwords sometimes, asks me if I want to call what I just typed into the address bar and some other issues. An update has to be comming soon, it's just getting unreal. Here's a screen shot of it asking me if I wanted to call macrumorscom.
    [​IMG]

14. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol - calling macrumors. That's just a little bug there. Nothing to worry about. See if you can call god :)

15. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

been getting alot of frozen pictures (no matter where i tap or press it is frozen)

16. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Not even close, IMO.

2.0 through 2.2 were the buggiest I ever experienced. There are some bugs now, but 4.0 is a cakewalk compared to them. When 2.2.1 finally arrived, I swear I heard a chorus of angels.

17. MiamiBourne macrumors regular

I had a problem where my photos or videos on the camera roll would not rotate. Orientation lock was not on and my other apps would switch between landscape and portrait...a restart of the phone fixed that.

I've also noticed the Maps app seems to render the maps...really slowly.

Oh and I never had a compass (coming from 3g) but the compass when used on the Map app seems to not be consistent.

For me this has been the buggiest OS.

18. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yes - I noticed the maps app today was very slow to load maps. Never had that issues on any previous iPhone. It was rather irritating when I was out and about driving. Never been that slow before. Ever.

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

NO way. I've owned every single iPhone from launch day, and this gen has the most varied and sporadic bugs ever. Unquestionably.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's nowhere near as buggy as some of the 2.0 versions.

21. lgrulz macrumors newbie

Quick observation on my part may not apply to all your problems. When I first picked up IP4 I did a restore and had many odd problems. I then reset and plugged and set up as a new phone and re synced everything manually and now all is good. :cool:

22. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Problem with new is I lose my txt messages and such.

23. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I've experienced all of the above at various points.

The freezing/stuck issue -- I have had that twice on calls. While on a call, none of the buttons worked on the phone (I'm talking hardware buttons). Even after getting off the call, it froze on the "end call screen" with the end call button grayed out. Oddly, double clicking worked to get the task bar. I had to force close all apps, including the phone and then everything worked again.

I've had the black photo issue (it eventually returned to normal).

And numerous other issues.

Overall, I'm still please. But, a service release is definitely in order.

24. ethana macrumors 6502a

Within 0-4 weeks from today Apple will release iOS 4.0.1 which will fix many of these issues.

25. toffa813 macrumors regular

Lock Screen Has Higher Brightness?

I noticed my 4's lock screen has full brightness, or at least much higher than I have it set to. I don't remember this happening on my 3G in 3.0, and I even got it to work with iOS 4 for a short time and I didn't notice it. I just took a lock screen screenshot (so I had the same image) and opened it, and the lock screen was definitely brighter. Was this always the case and I just didn't notice? Anybody else with 4's notice this?

I thought it might take a second to use the light sensor and adjust (I have it set to ~45%, auto-brightness on) but it doesn't change if you leave it on the lock screen.