iOS 4 killed live updating smart playlist!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheConfuzed1, Aug 17, 2010.

1. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

On my previous iPods and iPhone, I've always used live updating smart playlists to keep my music fresh.

By adding the simple rule to not include anything played in the last "x" number of days, any song played would disappear from the playlist.

In other words, once you play it, it no longer fits the requirement for the playlist, so it drops off, creating a continuously updating, self-contained playlist.

I just noticed that my iPhone 4 no longer does this.

The playlists do not update until they are synced in iTunes.

Does anyone know a trick to fix this?

2. danwms macrumors member

I use these playlists all of the time and i have noticed this as well.

no idea why though

3. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The "smart playlist" was replaced in iOS4 with the ability to create and edit regular playlists right on the phone itself. (previously, that could only be done thru iTunes on a PC/MAC)

4. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That really irritates me. It's a huge step backward if you ask me.

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Ah, no. Smart playlists can not be edited on the device and editing playlists only replaced the "on-the-go" playlist feature.

Updating smart playlists have broken at least 3 times since the launch of the iPhone. It's a total joke that Apple can't get this right.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Add in the several years that it was broken on various models of iPod.

7. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought they may have finally done it right this time.

If you have a smart playlist, that has a dependecy for another playlist, you no longer have to sync both to your phone. I was happy to discover that.

But if this is the tradeoff, I prefer the old way.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Weird for me too

iOS 4 finally made my "most recently added" smart playlists work that hadn't live-updated (without a manual toggle) since iOS 1.x!

But with iOS 4, my rating-based smart playlists no longer work! For example, I have a playlist for 4+ stars, with hundreds of songs, but far fewer appear on the iPhone 4. (The other songs ARE present playable in their albums, but not listed in the playlist.)

On Apple's boards and iLounge, some say to add some other field like "Media Kind is Music." That doesn't help me: I already do that to keep podcasts and certain audiobooks out.

Definitely this is a system that has been broken under iOS in one way or another for over a year, through many OS updates. And smart playlists are a widely-used key ability of iTunes!

I'm about to install iOS 4.1 and iTunes 10... fingers crossed for a fix!

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I reverse-jinxed it :eek: With iTunes 10/iOS 4.1, my smart playlists actually seem to be working again at last :) Hopefully they stay that way...

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

live playlists worked for me in:

3.0 beta

they never worked in 3.x :mad: but at least they work fine now...

p.s. they always worked for me in iTunes 9 + 4.0, not sure why they never worked for you OP.