IOS 4 Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GhostDZ9, Oct 5, 2010.

1. GhostDZ9 macrumors regular

Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone has found this quite annoying, in the iOS4 Mail app there is supposed to be threaded emails, but its not very threaded at all

anyone else can concur with me?

2. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

3. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure i do but like when i post on a forum for exam and the guy responds it don't go into a thread it just continues to be individual email

Any ideas how to fix that?

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

mine works fine. as said before, make sure that under settings for mail, contacts and calendar, the organize by thread setting is turned on.

5. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

I did and its on but its not threaded at all lol:eek:

6. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

See this is what I mean,

[​IMG]

is there no way to fix this issue?

7. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

I think it has to have "RE:" in the subject line for it to be threaded. I looked over my threaded emails and that seems to be the common theme.

8. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

then technically thats not threaded mail, threaded mail is where if it has the same subject line it should be in one email as opposed to many, way to fail apple :(

9. Grimes macrumors regular

Based on my observations of how it looks on my phone with my gmail and company mail synced in the app, it looks like the threading is based on the subject of the email. If the subject of the email is changed in the course of the "thread", then it starts a new "thread" in the app. Furthermore, the app doesn't merge them together and thread them the same way that gmail works, for example. Instead, it just creates a subfolder like group of the emails listed together that you can go through one at a time.

Just my 2 cents.

10. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

out of curiousity, is that truly a threaded "conversation"? it seems like a notice from some sort of subscription.

11. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

How did they do that cause my email is through gmail and it doesn't seem to be threaded at all?

It isn't threaded at all its just a poor way of displaying emails

12. jallenclark macrumors regular

I will have to test this again but I am pretty sure my threads on ones without the RE in the subject header.

13. Grimes macrumors regular

As I said, I believe it has something to do with the subject of the email. It definitely does not behave in the exact same manner as it shows on your gmail account, but it does group the emails together that are of the same subject, you click it, and it opens a list of all the "threaded" emails.

I think the term "threaded" is misinterpreted as people believe it would look/feel like the threading done on a gmail account.

14. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm what if i modify my mail settings on my gmail account will that do the trick do you think?

15. Grimes macrumors regular

It might, but I never modified the settings on my gmail account... so I am not sure to be honest with you. In looking at my phone right now, the only time a message is truly threaded is if the subject is the same as another email (or if it includes a RE: or FW: at the beginning). If the subject is changed at all, the threading ends.

Also, as I'm sure you already realize, it does not thread sent emails.

16. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope there is no way to actually adjust this setting in Gmail. Therefore iPhone's threaded emails suck because its not actually threaded:s

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

"Threading" can mean many things.

It's just as "threaded" as what G-mail does, it's just different. Actually, I enjoy Apple's method and can't stand Google's. So from my point of view it's Google that failed.

So it seems point-of-view isn't very helpful. Everyone has a different opinion.

If you want to group e-mails by title on the phone then what you need to do is create labels in G-Mail (on the website itself) and then assign filters to direct specific messages to specific labels. On the iPhone those labels are shown as folders.

That's not exactly what you're asking for, I know, but it's the best I can come up with.

18. Grimes macrumors regular

I don't know... I find it useful. It certainly isn't implemented like the gmail threading, but I do appreciate having them grouped together to filter through the 100s of emails in my inbox.

;)

19. GhostDZ9 thread starter macrumors regular

Well Apple's Mail client does it, where it groups it by subject so i don't understand why the iphone can't

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

On a side note I do find it amusing that Google calls their version 'conversations' when I'd argue that the name fits the iOS method and NOT the Google method!

Not sure how they came up with that.

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

true, this is what i was pointing out to the OP earlier.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It underscore's my actual problem with threading. Usually it's the client doing it, not the service. This is a fundemental design flaw.

If Outlook, Mac Mail, iOS Mail, web mail, and Android's mail all showed threading the same way then it might be useful. But I suspect every single one of those is slightly different in a subtle way.

Worthless. I leave it all turned off. If you can't find the same message in the same place across devices then it's worse then useless. It's actually a hindrance.

23. Grimes macrumors regular

I just use it essentially as a "sort by subject" as that is all it is really good for.

24. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

OP - it seems that you are receiving separate emails alerting you of new posts to something you've subscribed to. "Threading" as I understand it means multiple messages back and forth between one or more recipients on the same subject. In this case you aren't replying to the emails you are receiving as they are just alerting you to new posts on a forum.

So are you asking for separate emails from the same source to be grouped together?

Sorry, just trying to understand what you are asking for because I feel that "threading" (again as I understood it) works well for me.