iOS 4 Multitasking ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macklos, Jun 21, 2010.

1. macklos macrumors member

macklos

Is it possible to turn off? Completely or by app? Who needs the Settings app left open, EVER! Multitasking should be an option IMO.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

They don't remain open in the background. Certain APIs allow a handful of tasks to continue after the app is taken out of focus, but the app itself is put into a freeze state.

Upshot being that there's nothing really 'left open'.

3. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

I cant believe im reading this... after years of moaning about the lack of multitasking

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

+1

5. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

How about closing down settings without it being on the multitask bar?

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

if I'm not mistaken, only apps that stream music or use Voip actually multitask, everything else is placed in stasis like Han Solo in Carbonite

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

every app you open goes into the multitask bar....

8. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Yes but they are on the bar, and just clutter it up when you want to do fast app switching.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

or like I was after I told the wife she had a hot friend. I'm still shivering after that.:D

10. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I know this doesnt really help, but you can click and hold the multitasking icons and press the little minus sign if you want to remove it. Its not the same as being able to turn it off but its better than nothing I guess.

11. bundu macrumors member

As others have said, nothing is "running" in the background other than music apps.

They should've named it "App Freezing", rather than the misleading "Multitasking" label they used.

12. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

13. macklos thread starter macrumors member

macklos

Not everyone was moaning for this. Therefore it should be an option.

14. bundu macrumors member

It's not even multitasking, so there is very little performance hit.

15. macklos thread starter macrumors member

macklos

I understand this. Multitasking is what they call it though. Semantics blah blah blah. I see it as clutter and extra steps to truly close out apps. Certain apps just don't need to be in this state and on the bar cluttering things up. The Settings app being one of them.

16. bripab007 macrumors 6502

You don't need to close them or worry about it after closing an app like Settings; it'll reclaim the memory it needs as you use other apps. You can verify this by opening settings app, going into wi-fi section (or wherever), quick-switch to another app, then go back to settings, note that it is still on the wi-fi screen, now go about your business and use the phone normally for a while. Go back to Settings app and notice that it is no longer in that saved location. The OS has reclaimed memory it needed from leaving that app in saved state.

17. outphase macrumors 65816

The saved state doesn't last forever. After some period of time, they get reset as if it was a fresh launch.

18. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Right, which is why you shouldn't ever really have to worry about manually removing apps from the task-switcher menu. I mean, it'd be kinda silly if Apple just allowed apps to keep saving more and more saved states into RAM until the phone just crashed :)

19. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i just realised they've done it in a similar way to how OS X handles RAM, with the inactive and active blah blah…. i don't think it's as silly of an implementation now that i've noticed this.

20. kangaralph macrumors member

i liked the double tap and it popped the music player thing better........ wait for a JB all of those fixes + facetime on 3g will pop up :D

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so every app you open, then close, ends up in the multi task double tap bar??

22. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I'll be glad to trade you my iPod touch 2G which doesn't get multitasking. :D