iOS 4 on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by pinsrw, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pinsrw macrumors regular

Hi all,

In order to install iOS 4 on the iPad, it appears I need to install the newer Xcode as well.
    Previously when I did this however, I was told I could not submit an app that was developed with the new software.
    Does Apple expect developers to have more than one iPad on hand then? One for upgrading to iOS 4 and one for making updates to existing iOS 3.2 apps?

Thanks.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Either they expect you to have an iPad for each iOS version you wish to test on or they expect you to be restoring your (single) iPad to each iOS version you wish to test on.

3. firewood macrumors 604

You can install the beta developer tools in separate Developer directories from your current iOS release tools. Then you can use the beta tools for testing, and the current release SDK for App store submission.

e.g. I might have directories for Developer_4.0.2 (old one for regression testing), Developer (for App store builds), and Developer_4.2 (for the current beta).

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Submission of binaries and testing of binaries are two different things.

It's always been recommended that binaries be built with the latest GM tools. In the last few months this has been made into a requirement. It's never been allowed to submit a binary built with beta tools.

For testing, who knows what they expect? No one owns every combination of hardware and supported OS versions. Since Apple has removed the ability to downgrade OS versions this process has become harder. It's up to you to decide what suitable testing consists of. Having beta testers certainly helps with this.

5. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

It's odd but while iOS SDK 4 is easy to find, for some reason I'm not finding the iOS 4 package itself, to let me upgrade the iPad.
    I'm sure I've seen people mentioning that the package exists and that one has to use iTunes to do the upgrade.
    And I definitely noticed an announcement that the iOS 4 GM seed was available a month ago but I cannot find it.
    Do you have a link to it?
    Thanks.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iOS 4.0 and 4.1 (including the GM seeds) do not run on the iPad. iOS 4.2 which is currently in beta does. This is only available to paid-up developers. Have you paid Apple you're $99?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

So, right now for iPad, your choices for iOS are either 3.2.x or 4.2 beta. That's it.

8. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

I found it.

Incidentally I read that using the 4.2 beta is risky. Can someone clarify the situation? I can restore to 3.2.2 anytime I want, yes?
    Thanks.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All betas are risky. That's why they are still in beta. Apple do not provide any official way to downgrade to 3.2.2.