iOS 4 on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThugZilla, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ThugZilla macrumors regular

How is iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G? Is it sluggish and slow? Also, how is the battery life?

2. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I put OS 4 GM on my 3G. It was snappy at first but now I'm at a crawl... of course, I can't tell if that's the OS's fault or the phones (it is in pretty bad shape). I'm sure a restart would resolve it, but I'm unable to use the power button.

The integrated inbox is pretty nice, though.

3. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm debating whether or not to sell my 3G with iOS4 or keep 3.1.3 on it. From the sound of it on the boards, I think I might just wipe it and keep 3.1.3 on it.

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yeah I mean until it's faster, keep the 3.1.3 - Unified Mailboxes is nice but you don't get most of the nicer features of 4.0 including Multitasking. Nothing new about the UI either so yeah.

5. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

iOS 4 runs just as well as 3.1.3 for me on my 3G. I've even jailbroken mine and enabled multitasking and it still runs well. I just have to be careful how many apps I leave running in the background but its easy enough to close them through the multitasking panel which is actually useful. Being able to close an app like mail, phone, messages, etc. frees up memory.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Folders is a must in my opinion after using them. I went from 9 pages to 2. Sped the springboard up considerably.

7. zacharace macrumors member

iOS 4 on a 3G is like running Windows 7 Basic on a netbook or something like that. None of the "regular" Win 7 features are included, most things are the same--and, in the end, it's not really worth much. :p

I'm selling my 3G with 3.1.3 (Windows XP in this simile framework) on it FWIW.

8. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

On my 3G, it's slooooowww.

Sometimes, when I try to open the iPod, it will sit at the black screen for 10+ seconds. Even on a "good" day, it take 3-4 seconds. And, that's withOUT any of my music loaded -- just about a dozen podcasts and 6 movies.

I was hoping to see the "snappier" performance that my friend sees on his 3GS, but sadly, I can't echo the sentiment.

And, I tend to agree with Zach - there isn't much to be gained with 4 over 3.x IMO. The folders are kinda nice but even without them, I only keep about 4 pages of stuff on the phone, so it's not a killer feature for me. The unified inbox is nifty, but not critical for me either.

So, if you're gonna stick with a 3G, I'd advise just keeping 3.x on it. Part of the allure of iOS4 is the nice, fast hardware that the iPhone 4 will bring to the party.

Mike

9. Desmondhuz macrumors member

Desmondhuz

4.0 slowwwwwwwwwwwwww on my 3G

4.0 seemed "snappy" on my 3G after install but quickly and progressively has gotten slower since then. As mentioned by another poster, apps (even core apps) take a lot longer to load and then they run slowly too. I can't believe this "Gold Master" will be released to the masses on the 21st. Jobs' inbox will be full of complaints. iTunes 9.2 (just released) needs to give us the option to downgrade back to 3.1.3. I do enjoy the folders option, spell check, and the initial snappiness of the update. Can anybody point me in how to downgrade my os?? (Still can't wait until my 4 arrives on the 24th!!)

10. AndreEckythump macrumors newbie

Slowdown

I will second, third, fourth the comments.

When I first installed iOS 4.0 GM on my iPhone 3G, I was super happy. Animations looked very snappy, apps switched back and forth very quickly, and all around everything was great. And then it started... everything slowed to a crawl. Loading Messages shows me a blank table (that's a stupid loading screen) for about 10 seconds, then shows the messages. Another 5 seconds for the keyboard to pop up. Typing is horrendous; I never know if the keys I'm pressing are being typed or not until 2 seconds later, and using the "loop cursor" thing is just asking for me to smash my phone against a wall. Sending a message then takes another 10 seconds, during which my typing doesn't start a new message (the characters I type just disappear). In the past, I could write a second message while the first is sending, which I tend to do a lot with unlimited texts.

I just restarted my phone and everything seems peachy keen again. I'll try to time to see how long it takes before everything grinds to a halt again. If I have to restart my phone every day, that's not the end of the world to get the snappy performance I see when I first boot up.

11. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Yeah, and remember that it's only now that iOS4 optimized apps are starting to hit the store. But I did try it on my 3G and it did slow down when trying to put focus on buttons and different features of the apps.

12. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

You can use DFU mode to restore 3.1.3. I'm thinking of doing it, but I'm going to wait until Monday and see if maybe the released build is different than the GM.

This has the steps:
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/06/downgrade-iphone-3g-3gs-ios-4-gm-to-os-3-1-3/

Mike

13. skyehill macrumors 6502

Considering the 3G was already sluggish and slow...

14. Moomba macrumors regular

IMHO the iOS4 GM is far from GM in my book. Personally, to say it is painfully slow is a monumental understatement. To say it sucks is a kindness.

Battery life is ok, but 3.1.3 was far better. Overall it seems 4 hogs more memory than 3.1.3 which is likely what is slwing things down so much. Hopefully the official version next week will be better. If not I'll be going back to 3.1.3.

The ONLY good reason I can see to run 4 on a 3G is folders. They are ugly, but wonderful! Honestly, if you are still using a 3G I'd reccomend just getting an iPhone4 next month. The 3G is the same basic hardware as the initial iPhone was back in 2007. Same slow under clocked processor. Same memory.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of iOS4 GM on a 3G. It's certainly not ready for prime time in my experiences. I'm quite disappointed in it. Then it's still a beta and not official yet so there's time to fix things.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good thread.

I'm giving my 3G to my mother-in-law next week and I think I'll be keeping it on 3 now that I've read this.

She has no clue about app-folders or unified in-boxes. She'll be better off without 4, it sounds like.

16. jcharm macrumors newbie

I don't think the plan is to release IOS4 to the 3G, hence the reason the phone is discontinued.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

See:

Link

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

19. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I was thinking I might get more out of my 3G from Craigslist if I put 4 on it, but I think I'll just do a regular clean install of 3.1.3 before I sell it.

20. Desmondhuz macrumors member

Desmondhuz

Upgraded/Downgraded/Upgrade Again???

I downloaded the GM of 4.0 for my 3G and installed it, despite knowing multitasking, background pics, ratio lock and iBooks wouldn't work on the 3G. It seemed a little snappier then 3.1.3 after the install but quickly started slowing down, especially for everyday task (i.e. Phone calls, texting, mail, facebook, etc...) So I didn't feel like dealing with the slowness over the weekend and decided to downgrade back to 3.1.3. After a few scary moments, that finally worked out and I was running 3.1.3 again. Monday morning when I wake up, should I again attempt to upgrade to 4.0? If it's the same build as the gold master, it's going to slow my 3g down to almost unusable status, again!! Jobs better be glad my iPhone 4 has already been shipped from the other side of the world, or the email I send him would include even more colorful language. Lol. Hope the upgrade for you 3g users goes better then it has for me so far. But don't say I didn't warn you if it's slower then you could ever think. Oh, and I hope you have a 4 coming your way in the next month.