iOS 4 Pictures Emailed Sideways?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kevin86, Jun 16, 2010.

1. kevin86 macrumors member

Is anyone else having this problem in iOS 4?

When you email a picture taken with the camera it is sent sideways (rotated 90 degrees). Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

2. whatsleep macrumors newbie

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I just took a screenshot of my home screen and emailed it to myself and it came out in portrait form...

I'll try taking a pic with the camera and see what happens..

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

yep, same problem. The weird part of it is, I took a pic emailed it to my gmail account the preview of the picture shows correctly in portrait view but when you click on "view" that's when the picture get's rotated, if you click on "download" and download the picture it shows in portrait mode..:confused:

5. kevin86 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have an update on this? This is really annoying.

6. LadyC macrumors newbie

I noticed this happen last night, and I thought I must've been mistaken - I'm glad it's not just me!

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I noticed the same thing yesterday but thought gmail screwed something up. Did you resize the picture or send the original? Maybe resizing screws with the rotation.

8. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Wow I never realized this but it does it to me too.

In fact I sent a picture to my girlfriend and she said that the picture was sideways.

Uh Oh. My first flaw?

9. kevin86 thread starter macrumors member

Man this is really annoying. Anyone know of a fix?

10. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I e-mailed myself a photo. It was shot in portrait.

Opened it up in my mail on my Macbook, still in portrait.

Uploaded it on my friends Facebook page...

Landscape.

Very odd. I'm sure it's just an overlooked quirk that'll get sorted out soon enough.

11. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Watching videos sideways is no fun either. Does the same to vids when emailed. How can little bugs like this not show up during all those beta builds.

12. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to try that out. I'll let you know what happens to me when I do that.

13. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I tried it.

Video was shot in landscape. E-Mailed it to myself (MobileMe). E-Mail shows correct landscape video. Downloaded it to the desktop, opened in Quicktime, and it's still correct.

Everything seems on the up and up with me for video.

14. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I just tried it. I took a picture in portrait, emailed it to myself. When viewing the email on the iPhone it looks correct. When viewing the email on my desktop (Gmail) the picture is sideways. Something screwy is going on. I use Google Sync, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

15. kevin86 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going out on a limb here but it's almost not reading the accelerometer correctly? Because if you take the picture in landscape it emails fine. it's portrait pictures that don't work.

16. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Portrait pictures and videos play sideways. Taken landscape they play correctly. I have rebooted the phone many times. Plays and shows fine (correctly) on the phone but even the thumbnails when viewing in explorer shows them incorrectly.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I just did some tests. Yeah, Landscapes seem fine which is why I never noticed this. I take 99% Landscape photos.

As for Portrait, they come out good in some places and bad in others. After e-mailing:

Portrait Shows Correctly:
    Online Web G-Mail's Preview Thumbnails
    iPhone's Photo gallery
    iPhone's Mail App (using G-Mail)
    Mac OS X (Finder, Quick Look)
    Mac OS X Preview application
    iPhoto

Portrait is Rotated Sideways:
    Online Web G-Mail's Full-Size View
    Windows Explorer thumbnails
    Windows Picture Viewer
    Final Cut Pro
    Quick Time Player 7 (Mac version)

So this is NOT an issue of the information not being recorded in the photo. Some programs can see it correctly!

But clearly there is some kind of bug. I'm not sure why some things get it and others don't, but it's not the same everywhere.

18. truman6568 macrumors newbie

I discovered if you turn the phone sideways with the home button to your right and take a picture...when you email it, it will be correct. As far as I can see, I think that's was Apple's intention.

19. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

I read an article someone posted here in a different thread and it said that is had to do with the new tags they are using in the photos and those tags not being recognized by the receiving end. can't find the link though. run a search

20. dubnde macrumors regular

Just tried this on mine and same problem. Or is it a problem? Am I taking the pictures hold the camera wrong???

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Only an issue with the Camera app itself, so it may well be a metadata problem. Camera+ works fine.

22. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

If only Camera+ also took video. MY videos are coming out sideways, too. Freaking phone.

23. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Camera+ is possibly the best app I've downloaded so far. Just got it last night after months of deliberation. I'm hooked!

24. nathanw macrumors member

I noticed this yesterday actually. Just emailed from my 3GS running iOS4 to my work computer running outlook '07 and some were sideways but some were normal. Weird little bug.

25. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

Ive just download this cos of Ur recommendation lets hope i like