iOs 4 runs slow on 3G phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lauren2010, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Lauren2010 macrumors newbie

We have two iPhone 3Gs in the house that became slow after installing iOS 4 on them. We waited patiently for new sw updates, and now that 4.0.2 has been installed on them, they are still slow.

Specifically, whenever I touch and menu or app, there is at least a one second delay before anything happens. Often it is a few seconds.

Well, we have new iPhone 4s, so I gave one of the 3Gs away to a friend.

Still, it bugs me that the new software (released at the same time the iPhone4 came out) in my mind degraded the 3G. Did apple do this on purpose? I don't see why new software should degrade the older 3G.

If on the next iPhone release a similar thing happens to my iPhone4 and it too becomes degraded for some annoying reason, I am going to ditch all smartphones and go back to a basic phone.

I loved my 3G and I love my Iphone4 even more. At least for now.

2. elliotsdad macrumors newbie

possible help

Hi
    I was in the same boat, and even had one handset replaced by apple, it came with 3.1.3 on it, but I had to restore and go back to 4.0.1. But it did make a difference if I set up the phone as new, rather than install a previous back up. No idea why, but it did make it more responsive.
    Worth a try...

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

5. apprunner macrumors regular

Restore as new doesn't work for long. 3G was just not meant to have iOS 4.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iOS4 was matched/built for 3GS/IP4 hardware. It's compatible with 3G however it doesn't have the RAM/Processing power as the other two do. One can argue that it's Apple's subtle way of making you upgrade frequently since most people will tend to ditch their phones every 2-3 years for newer models. When I upgraded to iOS4 on my 3G, it was terribly slow but did function normally. Since Apple is a cutting edge company, their updates to iOS4 needs the hardware on the phone to keep up as well. Unfortunately, the 3G can't handle the software as initially intended.

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I'd suggest reading the front page.