iOS 4 SMS Badge Bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gts197, Jun 10, 2010.

1. gts197 macrumors regular

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same thing I am. I will do my best to explain what exactly happens.

When the sms app is "running in the background" and I receive a new text the blue circle icon does not pop up next to the new text and the contact that I received the new text from doesn't shoot up to the top of the list on the main sms page. If I then manually go into that text it will update but the badge on the home screen sms icon will be stuck and will keep going up for every new text I receive. Also the number next to the word Messages on the main sms page will consistently show (1) next to it no matter how many texts I have received.

The only way to temporarily fix the issue is to go to the multitasking menu and close the sms app and then re-open it. Once I do that all the texts that I received prior to closing it will then be updated with the blue icon next to it and then can be marked as read.

I tried to search but was unable to find anything similar to my issue. I did read somewhere that having the phone jailbroken and using an app like bite sms can screw up your sms count. I was using bite prior to updating to iOS4. The reason I feel like that wasn't the cause is due to the fact that it happens to every single text I receive. It is not an issue that is linked to receiving texts from one particular person.

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not running it, but I hope they fix it because after reading your post, I feel bad for you. It seems extremely annoying. :(

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I don't fully comprehend your post, but this isn't the final revision of iOS 4.0 and it has been said that multi-tasking is not working properly (this is understood by Apple).

4. gts197 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you not comprehend? Whether this is the final version of 4.0 doesn't really matter. The reason for my post is to see if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am. If no one here is having the same type of issue I can probably assume that it happening due to my previous jailbreak and using bitesms.

5. bfern002 macrumors newbie

doesnt happen on mine. try restoring. i updated from 3.1.3 JB to 4.0 stock, and for some reason my MMS didnt show up on the messages app. a simple restore to iOS4 solved the problem.

6. Torq macrumors regular

I'm not seeing that issue either.

I did the setup as a new phone in this case, rather than restoring from a backup, not sure if that is a factor.

I do see screen painting issues in the SMS app though. Long texts will overwrite the header of the frame which they didn't do before.

7. gts197 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I will give a restore a shot and see what happens.

8. A 1 macrumors newbie

I've had a similar problem after upgrading to ios4 yesterday. The name of the contact doesn't appear on the sms sometimes, and the back "messages" button doesn't appear, so the only texts I can see are from that person (unless I kill the app and restart).

9. suupdavid macrumors newbie

I have this same problem (as the OP). I'm glad I'm not the only one :confused:

10. gts197 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually was able to fix my problem just by setting up as a new phone. Something must of stuck around from the jailbreak that was throwing off the counter and all the other issues I mentioned above.