IOS 4 update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by greatkahn, Aug 24, 2010.

1. greatkahn macrumors newbie

I want to try ios4 with my 3gs iphone (not jailbroken). But in the web there are some issues adressed about ios4. If I update it through iTunes and if I don't like it, how can I restore to my 3.1.x? Is there anyway? Thnx.

2. AlBundy macrumors newbie

Have a related issue. My 3GS is jailbroken on 4.0.1 but now doesn't work with my Parrot car stereo. I'm hoping I can return it to 3.1.2 and the jailbreak it again. Not sure if it's possible though.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless you saved your devices SHSH for an older OS that you want to roll back to, you can't restore older versions.

There's a ton of information about how Apple signs releases to prevent people from putting modified (or older version) on their phones. Do some reading if you're interested in knowing more...

4. AlBundy macrumors newbie

Thanks buddy. I thought it was just a case of putting the downloaded firmware in the appropriate folder and selecting this when restoring the phone. Shows you how much I know :rolleyes: Ah well, I'll just have to hope Parrot sort my current problem.

Thanks again

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You cannot downgrade if you did not save your blobs before hand, did you use "Tiny Umbrella" to save them? If not you are out of luck to downgrade to 3.x... Mine is working fine with 4.0.0 except for the ihome ip9 (the one w/out the app) that sometimes my alarm (of the ihome) did not ring before but I found that opening the app, play then pause and press the home button before docking at night then the alarm would ring my playlist. Besides that it's been fine. iOS 4.1 should come in sept. w/ the refresh of the ipods so you could just wait to see if many of the problems are gone (most of the problems are for Ip4 not us 3GS). If you own various docking things that use the ipod app I would hold off until 4.1 and see if the problems are fixed. Also start saving you blobs!

I had a couple of problems w/ my ihome ip9 alarm clock and maybe is the similar to the car problems... Check with someone that has a beta of 4.1 because I think I read that it might have better support in 4.1? Do you have your SSH's blobs saved with saurik or w/ tiny umbrella for 3.x; If you do simply follow these instructions to downgrade: http://thetechjournal.com/electroni...d-ipod-touch-to-iphone-3-1-3-3-1-2steps.xhtml
    I think the BB doesn't change but they are all unlockables anyways...

8. Resist macrumors 68030

I would advise against the update. Wish I had never put it on my iPhone 3G, because now it runs sluggish as all get out. But then again, it might run better on your iPhone 3GS due to its faster processor.

9. Kayan macrumors 6502

iOS 4 is plenty fast on 3GS, it's way better than having the older software. I have latest iTouch and it works flawlessly and snappy. With 3G, you can still downgrade without SHSH, so if you're hating it, just downgrade. But don't advise against updates just because your hardware is out dated.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will.
    It runs fine on the 3GS.

11. greatkahn thread starter macrumors newbie

Addenum

3.1.3 signs seems to be dead. After Feb 2010, Tinyumbrella can only get ssh for 4.0.2.

Is there another way (including processes that require jailbreaking although not preffered by me) to backup the 3.1.3 firmware?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, no other way.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

There is no Apple product called an iTouch. Do you mean the iPod Touch or simply called the Touch?

But as I stated in my post, iOS4 probably runs faster on an iPhone 3GS, just not well on the iPhone 3G.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL don't get too deep on the details, there is not Apple product call iP4 but everyone knows what it is. ;)

There is not iOS4 or iPhone 3GS either ...it is iOS 4 and iPhone 3G S⃣
    :eek:

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, some get caught into non-important details like this.
    We all knew what he meant.