IOS 5.0.1, I WANT but I can't HAVE

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fuzzball7, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Fuzzball7 macrumors regular

Quick info you should know,
    Ipod touch 4G, 8gb, Jailbroken via Redsn0w using a 4.3.4 resttore IPSW
    when my device was IOS 4.3.5.

I try to update to 5.0.1 via iTunes obviously but when it's backing up there is a -54 error, then when it's trying to actually install the IOS it says 3194 error

Ok, so some let's say, idiot told me to delete 2 lines out of the THREE that were down the bottom of my HOSTS file and keep the one that says : #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com Image

Then another guy told me to download Tiny Umbrella and set something...
    This is what TinyUmbrella says, mainly because I think I tampered with the HOSTS file!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help guys, I've googled and googled but nothing that actually works for me. :'(

Thanks in advance

Fuzzball7

2. MaxBurn, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

TU is giving that warning because it can't provide the server function for whatever reason. Also TU does alter the hosts file, but there is an option to disable that on exit in TU settings.

As you are trying to get current skip TU and take the apple.com lines out completely, they are NOT necessary to restore legitimately to the current version.

As you have some jailbreaking stuff going on there you might need to get into DFU to restore that device.

Lastly stop stealing software. You should just wipe all those entries out of the hosts file.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

3194 error means your host file is pointed at Cydia, not Apple

To upgrade to 5.0.1, your host file must point to Apple or the upgrade will fail.
    Use TinyUmbrella, Advanced Tab, uncheck Set host file to Cydia to correct this.
    Type "gs.apple.com" in your browser to test (It should go to Apple, not Cydia)
    Your iDevice must be in pwned DFU mode to use custom or No_BB IPSW with iTunes or it will fail.

4. Fuzzball7 thread starter macrumors regular

Please tell me how I'm stealing software?
    I'm not meaning to.. :(

5. Jakeblu macrumors regular

I think he is referring to the Adobe stuff in your Hosts file, it stops adobe from 'phoning home' and checking if your copy is legit.

Steve

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yup.

Well that and the mention of tpb to get updates.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would like to point out that the gs.apple.com entry in his hosts file was already commented out, so it should not have been affecting his restore at all.

8. Fuzzball7 thread starter macrumors regular

and so what do I actually have to do to get this to work?