iOS 5.0 wishes?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steviem, Sep 19, 2010.

?

What would you like to see most?

1. Better Notifications

78 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Better built in photo app

44 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. User available file system

74 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. Third party app access to Bluetooth headset

29 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. Better app scaling

38 vote(s)
    25.2%
  6. Wireless syncing

93 vote(s)
    61.6%
  7. Different/better multitasking

52 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I'd rather put this for all of the iOS devices, but it seems I can't, so I'll do it here (because this is the iOS device I currently have...)

What are people's main wishes for iOS 5.0?

Mine that come to mind would be:

-Redesigned Notification, something less intrusive, maybe using a multitouch gesture to invoke a list of the notifications. I do like the badges and would prefer them to stay, I feel like they are the best part of the notification system. Also a system which will work across all of Apple's iOS systems nicely, I really wouldn't want to see a big blue box appear whilst I'm watching TV on my Apple TV! Maybe unified notification across devices?
    -Hopefully this will happen before 5.0, but to change the way applications scale between iOS devices. there's a hack to make regular iPhone apps scale when you have jailbroken, but seriously, Apple should be able to sort the iPhone apps to scale to iPad resolutions properly. (Games are completely different though).
    -Facetime to include chat, and potentially replace iChat on the Mac.
    -Wireless Syncing (they must be working on it, but I don't know if they are close enough to have it ready for 4.x)

2. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

On top of yours :

Expose multitasking,
    Redesigned folders (pinch to open etc.)
    Springboard redesign - there is more resolution - why don't apple use it?

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

4. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Did I miss something? Has iOS 4.2 already been released?

5. hexhead macrumors member

6. Icedog macrumors member

New notification system is a must for iOS 5. I was hoping for some revisions in 4, but as we know, that didn't happen. I agree about the badges, that part is fine. WebOS and Android have great notification systems. Hope Apple can come up with something better and soon. It's starting to feel a bit antiquated.

7. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

This plus all the other ones. (except compass, that can stay in maps where it's useful)

8. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

It's in Beta testing so we pretty much know its feature set now.

9. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Apple could have done so much with 4.2 (but didn't) - and still can, but its unlikely
    (clock and all other apps, better multitasking [expose], better folders [pinch like a stack that expands out] etc.)

10. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think the key phrase here is "and still can" - considering that Apple is aiming to converge the iOS versions amongst all the devices into homogenous and simultaneous releases. Therefore it would be logical that many of the features already available on other devices (e.g. iPhone4) such as the clock that everyone is so desperate for would migrate to the iPad. It is probable that these apps have been left out of the beta in order to reduce the trauma on the impatient.

11. iThinman macrumors regular

Unified applications documents folder, including photo/videos folders.

WTF are they thinking by not having this?

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

NOTIFICATION OVERHAUL!
    wireless sync
    Some sort of filesystem even if it's one folder every app can access

13. sundayx macrumors member

New notification system
    Better multi-tasking

top of my list

wireless sync would be nice too

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I am quite happy to accept that even Apple don't know yet what to do with the iPad as it's a major experiment right now.

Do they want to keep the device strangled as it is now?

As CPU power continues to climb, hopefully with each revision, it's going to become harder and harder to hold it back to being just a dumbed down computer.

Do they eventually want to put a full OS on there as well as a simple tablet OS so you can select what you want?

The iPad could eventually easily replace Macbooks if that's the direction they want to move the device in.

Can anyone really imagine a 4 Ghz 10 core iPad with half a terrabyte of storage on board that still needs to be docked to a computer to edit some data? in say another decade?

It would be illogical to always hold it back from developing into a stand alone device.

You need of course either a detachable or some other keyboard and there is your dual function product.

Perhaps they will never advance it, and will keep it as it is but with a higher res screen and a 1 week batter life.
    Personally I can't see that myself as others will move forward in time forcing Apple to do the same.

15. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

Give the iPad a full-featured FINDER specifically designed for iOS, it will dominate the world

16. Scuby macrumors regular

My one and only wish...

A much improved Photos app. Not specifically the OS i know, but as it's a default app i'm not sure it'd be updated separately to the OS.

But basically, i'd like to be able to do things with Photos. Being able to move imported photos (from either iPad CCK, or camera on iPhone/iPod Touch) into named albums would be very useful when i'm away. Being able to rate (star ratings) photos before i upload them to my Mac would let me do much of my sorting while i'm away. Similarly simple things like keywording would be good.

Longer term, since there are already apps that can do it on low res copies of ,y photos, being able to make basic modifications (crop, rotate, etc) to the full size photo would be great. Ideally an Aperture app which tells Aperture what changes i've made on the iPad and maintains the original photo when i connnect my iPad and import to my Mac library.

Alternatively, just allow other apps to use the full size Photos stored on my iPad, and make changes to them.

And being able to sort events / albums uploaded from my Mac (from Aperture) would be great.

Can you tell where my main focus for improvements is? :rolleyes:

David

17. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

I would love for the iPad to be synced in some way with aperture, so you can do library organisation on the iPad whilst travelling or not at your workstation and the changes are instant.

Below the interface iOS and OS X share many similarities. Maybe there will be changes eventually to make iOS more powerful for productivity, but I don't believe it will take the old fashioned desktop paradigm for UI.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I fully agree.

The photo app almost looks like just a tech demo someone wrote that they have no added any functions to yet.

I'm not after photoshop (well it would be nice) lol

I just hope Apple make it into something good and don't do what Msoft did with paint in windows and just leave it in there as a laugh then no-one really used once they were more than 2 years old.

Most basic functions needed

Rotate, Crop, Create folder, Drag into folder.

19. macwheels macrumors regular

YES -- make that three of us!
    Are there more users here who want this? I would like to start a poll here on MacRumors, to aggregate a lot of people together who want these features, to raise awareness about it & hopefully stimulate a lot of individuals to submit this to Apple as a feature request. (here's a link for that, BTW:)
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

(Do you think there's no hope of this coming in iOS 4.2, by November? Or must we really wait until iOS 5.0?....)

After reading MacRumors' FAQ page & Help pages, I found nothing that tells me how to start a poll -- so I have no idea how to do this.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Piggie & Scuby!

20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Notifications are really the only big one for me. I hate it when I get like 20 notifications at once and it's basically impossible to deal with them all. I end up just turning off notifications for everything but the absolute essential. But then what is the point of having notifications?

Oh, the other thing I want is bluetooth headset support for third party apps. I want Skype to be able to use my bluetooth headset to talk to people. I want FaceTime to use my bluetooth headset when it is connected. I mean this is ridiculous that it isn't already this way. What is the point of using any of these nice Chat/VoIP apps if I have to hook up a wired headset or use speaker phone. Bleh, no thanks Apple.

21. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I'd like to see some of the apps like the app store run faster and not take you out of it every time you download an app. Really annoying that it loses your page.

Better notifications would be good as well.

22. celticpride678

1. Filesystem browser
    2. Wireless Syncing
    3. Redesigned push notification system

23. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I can't scroll in a text input box on web. So I have to drag the magnifing glass forever :( Better notification is a must, unless for things like chat.

24. celticpride678

Use two fingers to scroll inside text boxes in Safari.

25. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

I tacked on a poll to see what people would want, I have made it so you can select all that may apply, hopefully i put some good ones up...