iOS 5.1 beta

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by jdsipod, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jdsipod macrumors member

Hey guys, I have a developer account with apple and only have one iPhone and iPad and I keep seeing warnings to only run betas on devices that you want to run betas. My iPhone is my everyday phone but I really want to put 5.1 on it. Will anything really happen to it?

Thanks

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why don't you go to developer.apple.com and sign in. Then go to the discussions and ask the other devs.

3. jdsipod thread starter macrumors member

I was going to do that too, just seeing if anyone on here had any opinions :cool:

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

You can go back to the general release if you have problems.

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Apple would be the one to ask and they say to use the beta only on a test device.

6. jdsipod thread starter macrumors member

Have you done that before?

7. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

What the hell does the above sentence mean? :confused:

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple recommends you not run beta software on production devices, only development devices. Plenty of people do, you just need to be prepared to do a full restore if the device gets fubared from the beta.

9. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For a test device, can you do it as wifi only or does your device have to have 3G connection to be beta useful?

10. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Yeah. ITunes might not let you restore from a 5.1 backup when you go back to 5.0.1, but what I do is before updating to the beta I backup my 5.0.2 backup. I literally copy the folder to another place. Then when I want to go back to the general release I just restore from that backup. I might lose a few days of stuff but with iCloud syncing everything anyway it usually works out ok.

11. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

You can, but you can't use 5.1 backups to restore a 5.0.1 iPhone, so chances are you'll lose some of your texts, photos, etc.

12. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

You can backup photos to Photostream. Texts, yeah you lose them, but you'll probably know if a beta is problematic within a few days so it won't be that bad.

13. jdsipod thread starter macrumors member

Yea and losing texts really isn't an issue with me, i delete them all the time, and when i have conversations via text they never are really important

14. wsc9005 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, just restore your phone thru iTunes.

15. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Betas expire sometimes ...

In the past, when I have run beta IOS loads on my phone, I have run into issues where the beta "expires" and the phone becomes unusable until I load a new version of the beta or the final release. I have not done this for a while since I am not currently working on any IOS code. This was before the over-the-air update method was available, so it might not be an issue now, but it definitely was a few years ago.

16. applephanatic macrumors member

I ran iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 4s and iPad 2, I didn't really have any issues, other then the occasional fluky bug. I downgraded back to iOS 5.0.1 because of the Jailbreak, but if the jailbreak hadn't been released, I would of kept my iPhone and iPad running the beta.

17. mms13 macrumors 6502

Betas don't expire until a while after subsequent betas are released. Not an issue as long as you keep up with the new betas. Like you said, used to be a pain...but now with OTA updates, its really not.