iOS 5.1 breaks home screen settings icons!!! What the hell Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up on the info.

Looks like Apple doesn't want us to be able to control our phones easier... 5.1 cuts off the ability to make icons on our home screen that go directly to things like Brightness, Wifi, etc:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/29/iphone-5-1-disables-shortcuts/

I wont update to 5.1 if it means I lose my settings icons unless there is a untethered jailbreak that comes out and I can get SBSettings.

WTH Apple first you take away the 3G on/off switch an now this??? Do you really want to piss on all your iPhone users that want a quick way to toggle things on and off? :mad:

2. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

3. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is the last straw. Im jail breaking as soon as it comes out. Screw you apple.

4. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Tap > Safari > Settings is NOT direct.

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I'm definitely jailbreaking as soon as I can now.

6. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Just my thought...

1. It's possible this was broken just because something else was changed (and that change conflicted with whatever the workaround used to work).

2. Apple's working on there own.

Yea, it kinda sucks because I use the wifi shortcut all the time. However, I have a feeling Apple is going to build there own into the notification drop down menu. As long as one of the other is available, I'm happy.

7. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I doubt apple will do that. They never give their customers what they want.

8. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Sounds like you'd be happier on Android.

9. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Customers wanted 3G, they got 3G.
    Customers wanted cut, copy, paste, they got cut, copy, paste.
    Customers wanted folders, they got folders.
    Customers wanted a front-facing camera (mind you this wasn't even on normal US phones...example, HTC Touch Pro normally had a camera on front but none of the US versions did), they got a front-facing camera.

10. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

I probably would. Too bad the android hardware is plastic crap

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The shortcuts did/do use the non-public pref:// URL. Apple does have the right to remove undocumented functionality at will.

12. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

I doubt it was because it was what we wanted. It took apple years to add these features so everyone would go nuts when copy and paste arrived. Everyone thought they just invented the wheel again and it made it to main stream media. Ridiculous.

13. knoxtown macrumors 6502

To add to your list...

Volume button camera shutter
    High resolution screen
    Rearranging icons (couldn't do that on 1.0).
    Powerful flash for camera

etc...

----------

So, then you have three options.

1. Windows phone
    2. Jailbreak
    3. Stop complaining and be grateful.

14. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nice try... but wrong ;)

I use the touch icon creator app to create my own icons so I go directly, no safari needed:

Tap -> Brightness
    Tap -> Wifi

Guess Apple doesn't like me being able to do this? :confused:

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not quite. Safari still loads first, then it hands off the URL to the Settings app. Been like this since iOS 1.1.3.

16. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

The more we complain, the more likely we will get it. Just we won't get it immediately. Apple will listen and implement it in their next iteration of their product line. Then they will claim the feature is sooooo amazing and we will all drool for it. I have a feeling apple already have something planned for home screen settings hence they trying to squash it in 5.1

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is the kind of stuff that just turns me off from Apple... :(

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A. iOS 5.1 is still beta
    B. URLs in 5.1 may be different, not disabled

With that said, being able to do this is pretty cool. I usually only turn wifi off and on, but without hijacking the thread I'm curious what other people do that losing this access causes such a negative reaction? I'm looking for ways to use my phone more efficiently.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's because, generally speaking, people don't really know what they want.

[​IMG]

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think this thread is a little misleading for some part.

i dont blame apple for closing the direct home screen icons. its how they operate.

but jeez those listing off what "we wanted" as customers make it sound like we owe apple as a company so much for advancing their technology. regardless of what "we want" apple will have to move forward for them to sell their products.. reminds me of that signature with the quote, "we built over 300 beautiful stores for our customers" or w/e.

21. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I use wifi and Bluetooth icons on my home screen. Will be very disappointed to see the function removed. Maybe theres a security reason?

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I cannot see how this would have security implications - it only takes you to the appropriate settings screen, where you have to make adjustments manually. I could see a security concern if it actually changed settings. I am hoping that this is just a bug in 5.1 or Apple are working on proper shortcuts to toggling settings. Just curious - does Siri toggle settings?

23. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

at first i was like

[​IMG]

but then i was like

[​IMG]

sucks but whatever.... guess it was fun while it lasted

24. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Smack me now please: I didn't know I can add a wifi toggle icon on the home screen! How please?

25. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Why are people complaining? You guys should know that Apple does these kinds of things.

Just jb tethered if you have a i4 or just wait for a 4s jb for SBSettings which was light years better than that shortcut app crap.