iOS 5; 1 iTunes library, multiple Apple IDs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashley1496, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ashley1496 macrumors regular

So, my boyfriend and I have both our iTunes purchases and music in one library, but have separate Apple IDs. (Two iPhones, 1 iPad). I've already noticed that if I have one of his purchased apps on my phone and there is an update available it won't let me update the app without entering in his password and inputting his credit card information in.

I thought you could basically authorize up to 5 computers and 10 devices to use content you purchased so I don't understand why I have to continually enter a password and billing material every time an app has an update...especially because technically his phone is on my AT&T account and associated with my social security number...but regardless...

So now with the "iCloud" and "iTunes Match" is it going to be even more difficult to share purchases? Will it essentially weed out anything that I didn't purchase and ask for a password every time? For music, could I get around this by burning the music to a cd, then uploading it again into my iTunes libary? (pain in the ass!)

This wasn't entirely clear in all the press today so I'm sorry for my confusion...any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. ashley1496 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

In reality, iCloud is going to mean very little with iTunes purchases.

It just means that you can download purchased content multiple times for free.

If you currently share content between two libraries you should still be able to do that.

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I am wondering the same thing Ashley.

Me, my mom, my wife and I all have iPhones.

We have one iTunes account, and we all use my wife's apple ID on our phones so we don't have to buy the same song 4 times.

I am very worried that iCloud is going to squash that and force us to do just that.

I think it is ludicrous that all 4 of us have to buy a song so we can all have it on our phones.

This could push me to another platform in all honesty and I have had every iPhone since 3G and love the device.

5. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Relax kids. See this posts.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1165801

The icloud login Is distinct from the iTunes store. You will all have your own icloud logins but can share the same iTunes and same app store logins so that it's seamless syncing (as opposed to having to log out and login with other IDs to download content)

This could always change but this is how it is in the beta1

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It's 5 computers and 10 devices per apple ID and had nothing to do with your AT&T account. This is going to be a headache for a lot of people. The biggest thing is going to be imessage. Unless they do like gamecenter and allow you to sign into a separate apple ID. If not then they need to give us the ability to assign groups of UDID's that sync together.

You never know though, this could be apples way of forcing separate accounts on people, thus increasing profits.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iMessage can be used with any email address, not just an Apple ID.

8. ashley1496 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry I'm am not sure I'm understanding....I would sign out of my account iCloud from my iPhone and into his if I need to update an app that he purchased? Am I understanding correctly?