IOS 5.1 takes a whopping 2.2 gb

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nychot, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Thats is a lot. More and more I'm convinced 32gb is the minimum for the new iPad. You can be sure each subsequent iOS update will get larger along with bigger apps. Apple shoulf have made 32 the minimum instead if 16.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

You're probably combining OS size and formatted capacity.

iPad 3 firmware 5.1 is ~1.1GB, then as always you lose a little space when they calculate how many GB's your iPad actually is. (Kind of like how a 1TB drive is actually 931GB)

3. PaulNY macrumors member

I noticed this yesterday, I had my iPad 2 side by side with the iPad 3, and seen that the new iPad had a capacity about 900mb less than the iPad 2

Attached Files:

• ipad.jpg
      ipad.jpg
      File size:
      654.1 KB
      Views:
  4. erawsd macrumors 6502

This isn't an iPad 3 thing. My friend's iPhone 4 has 14gb, while mine only has 13.5gb, both bought on the same day from the same store. It bothered me enough that I looked into it and found a bunch of similar complains about the HD discrepancies among all iOS devices.

5. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

I imagine that with the increase in RAM they may have also increased the space allocated for swapping*, given many apps will now be larger in memory. It wouldn't shock me if the swap space was 1gb or larger - certainly desktop OSX gobbles up large chunks of disk space for swap, whether it is actively using it or not. Could be that iOS is similar?

*for the non technical, 'swap' is space used for temporarily 'moving' running program's that are not currently on screen to disk, so freeing up actual memory for active programs.

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I think you are right shellbryson. Those are both 3G iPads on AT&T with a difference in max capacity of .9GB (900mb)

iPad 2 firmware size is 755mb
    iPad 3 firmware size is 1.1 GB

That's a 345mb difference

If you account for 512mb more ram for the "pagefile", that's 512+345=857mb which is pretty much exactly the difference in size.

7. ///M5 macrumors 6502

Dude that iPad's screen is nasty. I would return it in a heartbeat.

8. Yggbert macrumors regular

Yeah that is crazy yellow. Mine is cooler than my Nexus S which I thought was very cool to begin with, now my phone looks somewhat yellow!

9. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Yeah the OS has a lot of yummy code.

Not sure what else to say?

10. PaulNY macrumors member

Its just the pic, I see no yellowing on the screen itself...it actually looks better than my iPad 2 in person