Ios 5.1 update sucks!!!

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
I just updated to 5.1 ios and now "THIS ACCESSORY IS NOT SUPPORTED!!!". My 2011 iHOME will NOT WORK NOW! I can not play any music thru it, no sound, nothing!!!! I AM VERY FRUSTRATED!!! WHY APPLE!! ITS BRAND NEW!!! JUST GOT IT FOR CHRISTMAS!! Is this just a glitch. Will this be fixed! Check your iHome docks, see if it works. Really makes me mad because I just got it! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Happens.
When Apple updates their stuff they dont make sure or care if it will still work with 3rd party accessories or hardware addons from various manufacturers.
I agree that it does suck but if its not genuine from Apple then you might have issues like that.
Sometimes I feel like they do it on purpose so people buy Apples overpriced wires, chargers, docks etc...

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I just updated to 5.1 ios and now "THIS ACCESSORY IS NOT SUPPORTED!!!". My 2011 iHOME will NOT WORK NOW! I can not play any music thru it, no sound, nothing!!!! I AM VERY FRUSTRATED!!! WHY APPLE!! ITS BRAND NEW!!! JUST GOT IT FOR CHRISTMAS!! Is this just a glitch. Will this be fixed! Check your iHome docks, see if it works. Really makes me mad because I just got it! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Quick roll back to 5.0.1 before its too late. Download the firmware hold shift hit restore in itunes and put it back on. Use a backup from 5.0.1.

gco212

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Quick roll back to 5.0.1 before its too late. Download the firmware hold shift hit restore in itunes and put it back on. Use a backup from 5.0.1.
This is correct, follow these instructions. Then, write to Apple to complain. They'll respond saying that they don't guarantee accessories will work with future firmwares, but they'll sometimes fix it on the next go around. That happened with my Alpine radio (I think 4.2 broke it and 4.2.1 fixed it).

chillined1212

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
I don't understand how to do it. If I hook up the phone and hold shift restore, it will go back to 5.0.1?

----------

This is correct, follow these instructions. Then, write to Apple to complain. They'll respond saying that they don't guarantee accessories will work with future firmwares, but they'll sometimes fix it on the next go around. That happened with my Alpine radio (I think 4.2 broke it and 4.2.1 fixed it).
Where do I write to apple. Whats the email address?

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I don't understand how to do it. If I hook up the phone and hold shift restore, it will go back to 5.0.1?
You first have to download the 5.0.1 IPSW, someone will have to provide the link because to you. Soon apple will quit signing it and make it no longer available.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Happens.
When Apple updates their stuff they dont make sure or care if it will still work with 3rd party accessories or hardware addons from various manufacturers.
I agree that it does suck but if its not genuine from Apple then you might have issues like that.
Sometimes I feel like they do it on purpose so people buy Apples overpriced wires, chargers, docks etc...
You mean like the mini-hdmi and extra hdmi cable for the MBPs I got on Amazon for a fraction of what Apple wanted for their mini-hdmi unit that does the same thing lol

The 4 isn't jb'd so I updated it, wifi issue still exist, not sure on battery life since I don't use it.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Happens.
I'd go the other way and say it isn't up to Apple to ensure compatibility with third party products. Apple publishes their specs and it's up to the third parties to be compatible. For as long as 5.1 was in beta a manufacturer really can't be surprised if their product stopped working on 3/7/2012.

OP: FYI: I use iHome speakers and 5.1 fixed the issue of AirPlay dropping the connection to them. They also worked plugged in.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Here's a blurb from iHome's site. You're already done step 1. ;)

Upgrade the software on your iPad, iPhone or iPod

Upgrade to the latest version by connecting it to a computer with iTunes installed and checking through iTunes that your unit has the most recent software. Update if needed.

Reset your iPad/iPhone or iPod

The process can differ depending on your model. Please see the user manual or the Apple web site for details. Typically, holding the sleep button and the home button on a newer iPad, iPhone or iPod will reset it.

Reset your iHome unit

Remove backup batteries and unplug the unit from the power source. Leave the unit for about 15 minutes to ensure that all electronic charges have dissipated from the unit. Replace batteries and reconnect to power source. For units with a reset port or button, press the reset button or insert a paper clip or similar into the reset port then release/remove.

Yan870126

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
The iMessage of my iPhone 4s goes handicapped! Always send failure...omg this didn't happens to ios 5.0 at all! Apple pls explain!

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
GET OVER IT YOU WHINING BABY!

It happens. It has happened in the past and likely will in the future. It will maybe be fixed in the future. In the mean time you will have to accept it. :eek: