iOS 5 and downgrading

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sam12345-2008, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sam12345-2008 macrumors member

I'm relatively new to jail breaking, I love my iPhone 4 JB and don't think I could live without some of the features I have installed.
    However now iOS 5 promises to do the same (or so apple say), it's only natural I want to try it out.

My worry is what if I don't like it or it is very buggy/isn't as good as the JB equivalents. With apple not signing older versions of iOS I won't be able to downgrade to a jail-breakable version.

I have heard of SSH blobs or something, that allows you to used a saved version to downgrade to.
    Can anyone link me to, or explain what I need to do?

Im currently running 4.2.1, baseband 3.10.01, and use OSX Lion.

Thanks in advanced!

2. sam12345-2008 thread starter macrumors member

Okay so I tried using iSHSHit but I get the error...
    "The requested firmware is no longer available for signing"
    That's what I though the whole point of the app was, to save previously installed versions of iOS's that are no longer being signed.

Any other ideas?

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's NOT the point of iSHSHit. If anything can save SHSH that is no longer signed by Apple then there's no point of SHSH. There is NO WAY to get SHSH if Apple isn't signing it. There are thousands of threads about SHSH here because everyone min or so, there will be people like you making a new thread.

4. sam12345-2008 thread starter macrumors member

So effectively, if Apple aren't signing the SHSH that you are currently using then there is no way to ever downgrade to that version should you update?

5. psejcf macrumors member

You should first jailbreak using redsn0w on OS X (or sn0wbreeze on Windows) and then save the SHSH blobs to Cydia. That would save them for the current version on your phone and would allow you to downgrade to that version in the future.

There is a way to point to Saurik's server for checking the signature, but AFAIK that works only with iTunes versions prior to iTunes 5. It requires modification of the "hosts" file to point to a different server. I don't know the complete process since the one time I did try it ended up not working. So a web search might help.

See iclarified.com for tutorials on jailbreaking, saving SHSH blogs, etc.