iOS 5 and Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Faux Carnival, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

With the new cloud system, Apple is giving out @me.com email addresses. This is quite nice but no one will change their 7 year-old Gmail accounts so easily. Our lives are in our Gmails. Anyway, can we use our Gmail with the cloud service? I mean, I'd like to use all iCloud offerings except email. Is this possible?

For example, I'd like to use Google Accounts for contacts, calendar and email. And I'd like to use iCloud for Photo, Music, Documents and Books.

2. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Can't you just log into separate accounts at once by just registering another email address in your settings? I'm not sure how it would work, but you could always set your Gmail account to forward your emails and the rest to your other email.

3. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I too want to know about how this will work...

Am I going to have to decide between Gmail and iCloud emails? :/ I've been using Gmail all of my emailing life.

I also switch phones a lot and if I switch back to Android I'd hate all the trouble I'd encounter, considering I had just moved all my stuff to a @me.com address... I also don't know what features there are for managing email on iCloud. Filters? Ect? I need more than basic email functionality here.

4. bluap84 macrumors 6502

to be honest. Id quite happily move over to the iCloud. Id just keep my gmail open and forward any email on to my new account. Then eventually my gmail will just fade away, but ill still keep it.

Reason being is iCloud will work better with my devices n iMac.

you can just forward your mail on to icloud, export your contacts and calender. and then boom your in the icloud

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Can I move all of my emails over? My last 6 years of email are on there. I'd love to have those handy, a lot.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Have icloud mail monitor your gmail account and hope they have it set up that your sender and reply address can be set to your gmail address. I use my ISP providers email and have gmail check and push mail via my gmail. When set up via IMAP I was able to have any mail I sent show from my ISP email address though exchange wouldn't allow it.

7. bluap84 macrumors 6502

AH...dont think you can export all your mail. But i know you can set up a forwarding rule to a different email address within the settings.

Set that up, start using your new email as its pushed to icloud from gmail. Maybe add something in your signature telling people you are now using your icloud email then use your gmail account like a massive archive ? Incase you need to go back and find a super old email

8. JulianL macrumors 65816

I don't do email on my iPhone but I have my calendar and contacts set up to sync with my Google account, this works perfectly for me so I'm also worried about the above. I'd love to use iCloud for syncing other stuff, especially if some of my third party apps also start using it (e.g. Ilium eWallet and Catamount PocketMoney) but I'm really worried that if I sign up to iCloud then it might interfere with my Google calendar and contact syncing.

I use a Windows PC and the info up on Apple's web site right now says that iCloud will sync to Outlook on my PC. I currently access all my contact and calendar data using the Google interface in my browser. Is it really the case that, in order to use this new Apple feature, I will need to go and buy more Microsoft software? I can't imaging that Apple want to be in that situation, they probably hate Microsoft more than Google, so hopefully there will be some direct Google to iCloud solution at some point; maybe it's there already and I missed it. A direct sinc to the Google services would also make it easier for Android users to migrate to iPhone which would also be a good thing for Apple to offer.

- Julian

9. jdanilson macrumors newbie

forwarding. return email. maintaining gmail account.

I had already thought of the forwarding trick, but how can I ensure that my return address is always gmail. I currently use iMail and have it set to show gmail as the return even though I have two other mail accounts.

I don't see a way to set a return address on my ipad or iphone so have been resistant to using that for mail.

Am I being paranoid, or is there something sinister in Apple wanting everyone to join the me.com bandwagon and move their mail to them? Search? Something else we can't see today?

I'd love to hear others' comment on how to utilize iCloud to sync mail but retain my gmail account.

10. Virance macrumors regular

For what it's worth, Gmail (via Exchange) has been working significantly better than iCloud for me (for e-mail).

I'm using my Gmail account for e-mail, and iCloud for everything else (including calendar).

11. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Just keep GMail, it works just fine with iOS5. I use GMail for mail, contacts and calendar (via Exchange); everything else is iCloud. Works like a charm.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Thats how I'm using it. Works fine.