iOS 5 and iCloud questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Sep 5, 2011.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I've tried looking for the answers for the following questions but couldn't find them;

When iOS 5 officially launches and you turn on the phone to install all your current information via iCloud that was previously on your old phone what information do you need to put in? Is it your Apple ID or email address? As I would hope to register for an iCloud mail account before this. I'm hoping you can still connect via cable to sync new iDevice.

How good is the red eye feature on the new camera app? I find the feature difficult on iPhoto.

For those who had MobileMe accounts, were you able to import mail from another account. I've had Hotmail for years, but I'm looking forward to iCloud mail, will I be able to import all my mail and folders into iCloud?

I can see that more and more Apps are utilising landscape mode, how come you cannot multitask in landscape by the icons simply turning so they are the right way and rotate back when switching to portrait?

Also, another observation/suggestion - why are we not seeing security in folders/ apps etc. It would be great to password protect apps.

Thank you in advance for your help?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm currently using my own appleID and was able to assign a @me.com email address from the settings menu.

I am not overly impressed with the red-eye, I had a go with a couple pics and wasn't really that impressed

3. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Maybe I'm reading too much into your question but when you turn on a new phone with iOS5 your old information won't be in the cloud yet.
    You'll need to put iOS5 on your old phone, sign up for an iCloud account and then back up your old phone to the cloud.
    Then you can use that same account to restore your new phone.

And backing up to iCloud is an option you can use or not use.
    It's not automatic.
    And even after you are using iCloud you can still perform a manual backup using iTunes and your sync cable.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

6. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Fall 2011.

8. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

Great thanks and I was afraid people would be vague about it.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

people have to be vague about it since there's no official release date other than fall 2011

10. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

I have a good question for beta testers. Can you still tap the top of the screen and scroll to the top of a webpage or does the notification center eliminate that?

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Doesnt effect that. Still works.

12. shandyman Suspended

nowt vague about it. thats what apple said.

13. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I still find it difficult to come to terms with the following;

A waste of a whole page for Spotlight, I have never used that feature. That page should be for widgets or quick on/off toggle for Wi-Fi etc etc

No deleting of individual call records

No way to change the voicemail number anymore

No way to pull down to move keyboard up and down whilst trying to read the text and respond

No password protection for folders

No restart button instead of swipe to switch off

And there's more!

14. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

this is possible in iOS5

15. shandyman Suspended

You may not use it, but people do, i do quite often, can search for anything in it, even texts, very useful

This is in iOS5

AFAIK this was always set by the carrier.

This is in iOS5

you can reset by pressing and holding the home and power button, it's quicker than swipe to switch off......

16. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, those features will be welcomed.

Can I ask an unrelated question.

Will iTunes Match work in the same way at Spotify? I've just got a 12 month premium subscription for £15 on eBay rrp. £120

17. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, Match only works with the music in your iTunes library, it also doesn't offer streaming, it only offers background downloading whilst a song is playing.