Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pofak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
Is it possible to upgrde iPad 1 to iOS 5? I connect my iPad to iTunes in my Lion Mac, click on Check for Update, and it says that 4.2 is the current version.

thanks,

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
It should update to 5.0.1. You can try to sync and backup and then restore. Apple no longer allows restore to 4.X versions, so you'll get pushed over to 5.0.1.

Once restored, set it up from the backup you created before and you're fine ;)

pofak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
It should update to 5.0.1. You can try to sync and backup and then restore. Apple no longer allows restore to 4.X versions, so you'll get pushed over to 5.0.1.

Once restored, set it up from the backup you created before and you're fine ;)

Thank. It sill has 4.2.

I connected the iPad. Waited for sync. Right clicked on the device and selected backup. Then I right clicked on the device and selected restore from the backup. After restore, iPad restarted but it still has 4.2.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I upgraded my gf's iPad 1 to iOS5 back in October, and it works just fine. I don't see why yours would insist that 4.2 is the current version.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Another iPad 1 upgraded on the first day available.

Have you updated iTunes to the latest version? If not, do that first and then try your iPad again.

Please post your results because this is a rather curious problem that you're having.

pscraig

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
I'd suggest NOT updating the iPad 1 to iOS 5. I did and really regret it. Stay with 4.3.x. Why?

iOS 5 seems to be made for the dual-core A5 processor and its larger amount of memory. Typing on the iPad 1 on iOS is difficult since it's not as snappy and quick, and overall feels slower. My iPad 1 constantly crashes.

There are many documented threads here and elsewhere complaining of Safari constantly crashing under iOS 5. The crash logs contain many instances of low memory errors. Not heavy-duty tasks, just reading Macrumors will crash it.

I had decided to sell my iPad 1 until I was able to roll it back to iOS 4.3, and I love it again. It's fast and does not crash, and I didn't lose much for functionality.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
People who are happy with how their device is behaving rarely post about it. The fact that there are threads about upgrade problems just means that there have been some difficulties and people are either seeking solutions or complaining. I initially had issues with battery life also on my iPhone 4 since upgrading; my issues seem to be better.

In the end, it's probably best NOT to upgrade if your present setup is working fine for you and there are no compelling advantages or features that you must have from the upgrade. :)

One size does not fit all.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Thank. It sill has 4.2.

I connected the iPad. Waited for sync. Right clicked on the device and selected backup. Then I right clicked on the device and selected restore from the backup. After restore, iPad restarted but it still has 4.2.
The first part (right click, backup) you did right.
But what I said was not "restore from backup". Was "RESTORE". Which means, plug in, click the iPad and click "Restore" in the summary section.

Restore = Format and restore OS.
Restore from Backup = Just restore my files to what it was last - which does nothing if you just backed up :p

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
iOS 5.0.1 & iPad1

Here same.

Initially hesitant as I read about iOS 5 slowing down signficantly iPad1 and how it reduces it to a piece of crap.
However I believe it should be due to largely the iCloud stuff running behind.
I went ahead for the upgrade.
Deactivate most of iCloud stuff.
Overall experience is good.
No regrets.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I'd suggest NOT updating the iPad 1 to iOS 5. I did and really regret it. Stay with 4.3.x. Why?

iOS 5 seems to be made for the dual-core A5 processor and its larger amount of memory. Typing on the iPad 1 on iOS is difficult since it's not as snappy and quick, and overall feels slower. My iPad 1 constantly crashes.

There are many documented threads here and elsewhere complaining of Safari constantly crashing under iOS 5. The crash logs contain many instances of low memory errors. Not heavy-duty tasks, just reading Macrumors will crash it.

I had decided to sell my iPad 1 until I was able to roll it back to iOS 4.3, and I love it again. It's fast and does not crash, and I didn't lose much for functionality.

I agree with you completely. Although I don't have a iPad 1 I have a 3rd and 4th Gen iPod Touch and I agree it runs better with devices that have 512 MB of RAM and a A5 processor otherwise iDevices with 256 MB seem to crash mainly in Safari due to low memory.

pofak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2009
The first part (right click, backup) you did right.
But what I said was not "restore from backup". Was "RESTORE". Which means, plug in, click the iPad and click "Restore" in the summary section.

Restore = Format and restore OS.
Restore from Backup = Just restore my files to what it was last - which does nothing if you just backed up :p

Thanks. My bad.

But now I have second thought about upgrading to 5 after all the things I read in this thread.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Thanks. My bad.

But now I have second thought about upgrading to 5 after all the things I read in this thread.

I have no issues with mine. I don't know why people are complaining so much about iOS 5. It's pretty good.

Antowns

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
I haven't read through this properly to see if you've sorted this but check your hosts file in case you have Cydia entries, this could be messing with it?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009

+1 for this.

My wife has iOS 5 on her iPad 1. It's a very frustrating and sluggish experience for her. Safari, in particular, is a horrible experience; not a smooth browsing experience and crashes frequently.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
My iPad 1 running iOS5 is slower than an iPad2 running it obviously but I get no undue crashing. There is a little lag sometimes, but nothing huge by any means, and mostly just when a game is trying to sign into game center or something.

I upgraded to use iCloud and have not been disappointed at all.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
My iPad 1 has iOS5 and I'm generally happy with it.

Dislikes: Safari does crash quite a bit, but it was doing that before iOS5.
Dislikes: Overall just a bit sluggish, but not a problem for me.

Likes: iCloud sync with my iPhone is amazing. Everything I change on my iPhone througout the day is automatically updated on the iPad. Love that part. Of course, I was one of the few MobileMe people who had that working just fine under MobileMe. And I liked it (shocking).

I generally web surf, real emails, play Sudoku and read my Kindle books on the iPad. That's about it.

sally456

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
Upgrade mine in Nov. don't have any problem so far, it works fine.
I really like the Multi-Touch Gestures on iPad.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
5.0.1 re-added gesture support for the original ipad.

Oh, okay thanks. My sister just ordered one this afternoon for a steal and was afraid the feature would be lost since we've been reading old threads of iOS 5 compatibility issues (and feature limits) with the original iPad. Hopefully she won't experience much Safari crashing and typing lagginess - there's quite a bit of that being mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.