iOS 5 and iPad 2 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nextgeneric, Jun 8, 2011.

1. nextgeneric macrumors member

iPad 2 Wi-Fi-Only owner here.

I recently [Monday] installed the iOS 5 Beta on my device, and I'm noticing a strange battery issue.

For starters, when I'm actually using the device, battery is consumed normally. No apparent drainage.

However, when I set down the iPad for a few hours [by putting it in sleep mode] and come back to it, the battery is completely depleted.

Has anyone seen this type of issue?

2. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

not surprised as it's a beta, but this will prob keep me from doing this to my own device. I can usually go 2-3 days without charging it semi-heavy use.

3. androidpopjr macrumors newbie

This is the first I've heard of this. My battery life has been amazing with iOS 5, if not better. You may want to turn off iCloud and notifications.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

This and the streaming issue suck. I can't seem to downgrade either on my iPad 2. Has anyone discovered how?

5. Brandrune macrumors member

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You have no bother? Do you mean you don't bother to try? If you try and stream anything to a 3rd party app (like Netflix, HBO Go) then it does not work for everyone else on the web (me included).

7. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Had an an iPad one that was using ios 5.0 and bought an iPad 2 on Thursday and put it onto iOS 5.0 too.

Finding that the iPad 2 is churning through the battery noticeably quicker. Both devices running the same services (given the iPad 2 was restored from iPad 1 backup) and settings.

8. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

That'll be the issue. Backing up seems to be bugged in iOS5 every item I've backed up has completely messed up. Reset all your settings and it'll be fine.

9. psedog macrumors newbie

Stupid standby

I'm having the same issue. Also only in standby. I have no reminders or notifications set. I do have some of the cloud services turned on. I don't have cloud backup turned on (didn't like the idea of not backing up to my Mac). I hope either they fix it soon or we figure out something. I'm leaving soon and won't be able to restore for ~ 2 months.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Here to report the SAME issue. Battery drainage over standby on a fresh iOS 5 install (NOT restored from any backup) is terrible. As stated, under use its just fine. However leaving it in standby for the night causes it to drain to 0.

I am using the magnetic case. Are those experiencing drain issues also using that cover?

11. gatearray macrumors 65816

That's hilarious, but without adding something like a ;) people might think you were actually serious.

People, relax— it's v1 of a developer beta! Built for testing, and not yet optimized for battery life.

I wonder if you might be the same folks who would be inclined to give a 1-star App Store review because your app crashes on this beta software you had no business installing in the first place. No business installing, because no developer would punish a fellow developer with such nonsense.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

What on earth are you talking about? I know its built for testing, however the iPhone 4 doesn't have ANY drain issues. I was simply trying to figure out if maybe the magnetic case isn't properly sleeping the iPad 2 while running iOS 5...

Don't make it sound like I was being so outlandish. I do a lot of programming for a living, I know that isolating issues down to commonalities between users is very important for figuring out the cause of problems. It is entirely possible that the magnetic case isn't sleeping the iPad 2 properly causing high battery drain while in standby, so get off your high horse for 2 seconds would you and actually comprehend what I am saying.

I'm actually astonished that you would read my comment and jump to the conclusion that I don't understand what beta software is and would give applications a 1 star rating. Where, and do point it out, was I ever critical of Apple, and where did I complain saying that I expected the beta OS to work perfectly? Please, point it out to me.

13. psedog macrumors newbie

I have the magnetic case as well. At first I thought it might be a factor as well, but I don't think that is it. (gatearray: It is relevant because of the sensors for it). Do you use any music streaming services? I stopped using Tunein Radio on it and I have not had the issue in just under a week.

14. rbodman macrumors newbie

I am having the same battery issues with ios 5 (9a5248d) on my iPad 2. Batter works fine when I am using the iPad, but if I set it down for an hour or so, it just goes black, and cannot be restarted until it is charged on my MacBook Pro with iTunes open for over an hour. Charging from a regular iPad charger doesn't seem to work. Even after charging on the MacBook Pro for several hours, I have to hold down the on/off button on the iPad at the same time as the application button on the front of the iPad for about 10 seconds. Then the machine restarts from scratch, shows about 55% charged and works just fine. There is no fast discharging while using it, just when I set it down.
    Same happens with no notifications or gps on.

Don't know how to activate iCloud or deactivate it. The icon is in settings, but when I try to enter my password and sign in, I get a message saying that I already have an account - and nothing happens.

Talked with Apple tech help. They said to restore the iPad to the original software. Haven't done that. Not even sure we can.