iOS 5 and iTunes Account(s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, Oct 9, 2011.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Quick question. As I am thinking about the iOS 5 update, and all of the iCloud stuff, etc. etc., I was wondering: My parents and I all have iPhones. However, we all share the same Apple ID and account, just to have one centralized account/credit card for all music, app, and video purchases.

However, given the fact that there is iCloud coming out, does this mean that we all need to get separate accounts? What happens to the music that was purchased on our original, primary account that has been activated on over five computers? I am a bit confused about the whole thing and would appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!

(PS: If I was not clear enough about my problem, please tell me and I'll try to elaborate)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Unless you want all of your Contacts to merge together, I say make separate accounts for iCloud for each iPhone user, but keep the same account for App/media downloads.

Have separate accounts here:
    [​IMG]

Share the same account here:
    [​IMG]

3. nygiants242 thread starter macrumors member

What about when it comes to the separate iMessaging accounts? How will that work, with a pin like BBM? Or by your Apple ID? In that case, we would definitely need to create separate ones, right?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes, you are going to want to create separate ID's for iMessage and FaceTime as well.

5. Vlad D macrumors newbie

Glad I found this post. My wife and I are in the same boat. 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and 1 iPod all on the same Apple ID.

6. bld33 macrumors newbie

I was curious about the same issue. What if I want to be able to sync a grocery list in reminders with my wife but also want to put in other reminders (ie buy anniversary present) that I would not want to sync to her phone. Is this possible?

7. dojoman macrumors 65816

This is getting confusing. We need to create another account with .me for iCloud? We cannot use iTunes account for iCloud?

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

An @me.com account is optional, your Apple ID can be used for iCloud.

9. Undertakercl macrumors newbie

But then you lose the free @me email account?