iOS 5 apps- Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlizzardBolt, Sep 29, 2011.

1. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

How long does it take for developers to update their apps for iOS5.

2 weeks? 2 months? Longer?

I'm talking about the majority of apps (75%-80%)

For the people who had iOS 4 way back, how long was it until apps were fully updated for retina display and iOS 4 use?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Depends on the level of complexity of the app, but about two weeks.

3. shandyman Suspended

some were ready at launch, some were within 2 weeks, some were longer. there's not really any set time.....

4. charliecc macrumors regular

What are you concerned about?

I'm running iOS 5 and have about 75 apps at present, all work fine on iOS 5, not updating required.

5. shandyman Suspended

exactly, plus it's not like there's any features that apps have to be coded specially to support this time round, as notification center doesn't require any new coding to work.

6. Hey! macrumors member

It shouldn't be long, most developers for apps have iOS 5 beta installed, so they could test it out.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There are new APIs that developers can take advantage of, and you can expect many apps updated with iOS 5s release. They have already been submitted to Apple for approval.

There are also no sweeping changes that will require updating, so most apps will be fine and never see an update.

-t

8. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well that's good to know. :)

9. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

How long is a string?

The question has so many possible answers. As previous posters have said, it is totally dependent on whether the (updated) app is going to take advantage of new iOS5 API's. If so, it then depends upon the complexity of the app and the complexity of the new functionality.

No easy answer.

10. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Most have already been updated or were compatible out of the box. There were a few apps that weren't compatible when I first started using iOS 5 beta, but by now all of my apps work. The biggest one that didn't work for me was News360, which didn't work under iOS 5 until a couple weeks ago, but now works fine. I'm pretty sure all of my apps (I have 213 on my phone) work under iOS 5 now.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Most of the our apps that broke under iOS 5 beta did so either because they used a deprecated API or in some cases were passing parameters to a procedure that were poorly formed. Things tightened up in that regard in several areas.

This means some apps WILL break because the developers did not bother to test under the beta...

My dev mgr just reminded me of what we had to change in our own apps...

-t

12. shandyman Suspended

Are you sure on this? as i thought Apple didn't start accepting new iOS updates for approval until after the GM has been released.................

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They aren't publishing them; but, that doesn't mean their teams aren't already reviewing/approving.

14. shandyman Suspended

i know they're not publishing yet, but i didn't see that they had said they were accepting them to start reviewing yet, thought that was always after GM came out, since the code is not final until then, there's always an announcment saying that they're now accepting apps for approval for a new OS.

15. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

No they haven't. You can't submit apps to Apple built with a beta SDK. Apple will start taking iOS5-built apps the day it goes GM (so probably Tuesday). Developers get an email when they're able to start submitting iOS5-built apps, and no such email was sent out yet.

Developers probably have their apps ready, but they'll have to install the GM SDK and Xcode to rebuild and submit.

16. shandyman Suspended

Thats exactly what i was thinking and what i was tryin to say, but wasn't sure if i was totally imagining it lol. Thanks for confirming.