IOS 5 automatically downloading OS updates

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sananda, Jun 26, 2012.

1. sananda macrumors 68020

My iPhone and iPad both say (in Settings) that they have downloaded 5.1.1 and I have the option to instal.

How do I stop these automatic downloads?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

You can't.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I think in iTunes, when the device is connected, there is an option to turn on or off these things.

4. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

I can't see anything so maybe it's not possible as batting1000 says.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

There are options for automatically syncing apps and such, but you can't stop it from downloading updates. It doesn't download it right away. If you don't update for a little while after one is released (like a few days I think, not sure), then it downloads the update, if connected to WiFi, then tells you and badges the Settings icon so then you would just have to install it.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're concerned about it using your data plan then it shouldn't be an issue; as far as I know it'll only download OS updates over Wi-Fi.

Having said that, I can't find an option in iTunes to turn this off :(

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, only over WiFi. Even if there was a setting, it's more likely it would be on the phone rather than iTunes due to the fact that devices are PC free with iOS 5.

8. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

I was hoping it could be configured like Software Update on the Mac not to download automatically. But it seems not.