iOS 5 Battery Killer!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benji222, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Ok, from what i have seen there is a lot of location services being used
    does it seem like to anyone else to utilize that if you want to use all the sweet features and notifications you will destroy your battery?

Idk, just a thought...

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Considering all this is already available through jailbreaking... No, I really don't see a change in battery life.

I have tons more tweaks then announced today, and my battery is still perfectly fine. Unless your tweet a lot, with location services on with every tweet, it should be pretty close to the same. Only time will tell.

3. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I had shocking battery life after restoring from my backup

I restored the ipsw again and this time setup as a new iPhone and my battery life is like iOS4 again (great)

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

My battery life was terrible in iOS 5 and I just reverted back, BUT realize that this is a beta, so they haven't optimized for battery life and performance, etc.

I don't think it will be significantly different in the final release. Besides, we don't know what they have cooked up for iPhone 5. ;)

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You have to remember that the new implementation of notifications is not asking your phone to do anymore than it already did, it is just managing how it does it differently.

The major change is that it will have to have notification center queued notifications in memory, but that's minimal considering it was already remembering a unique badge count for all the apps that had unaddressed notifications anyway.

Additionally, the location services part of reminders actually shouldn't use any more power really. You have to realize the only way that the phone will realize you are moving is if it has to hand itself off to a new cell tower or it goes out of range of wifi. The phone already did those things, now it's just checking it against an active reminder with location stipulation. Depending on how precise they want to get, they may actively check gps to determine these conditions too, but I don't see that as an absolute necessity given a wifi database exists (although that would require wifi on).

Given that each iphone also incrementally improves battery life through a combination of power savings and battery size increases, I'd argue that the impact will be negligible, if there at all. Time will tell.

6. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Does this mean you successfully downgraded from iOS 5 to 4.3.3?

7. JASApplications macrumors 65816

My battery is only a little bit worse than iOS 4.

8. leanne.. macrumors member

I'm also finding that my battery is only slightly worse than 4.3.3 and considering I have been playing with it constantly the last 2 days, I'm not surprised it's worse.

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Let's not forget this phone was designed by engineers that are pros at what they do. Given the space they were allowed to fit all the components into, I think it gets great battery life, even with location based services turned on.

NO.. it's most certainly not going to destroy your battery. Will it reduce run times, yes. But everything is a compromise and that is a great feature.

Finally the reason the iPhone gets very good battery life all comes down to just one thing. It's diminutive 3.5" display. The number one draw down on battery power of a phone or laptop is the display.

This is why Apple is so resistant to increase it's size. However market pressure is so great now with Androids running these big beautiful displays it appears that perhaps Apple will update the iPhone to a more modern display.

10. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

My battery life definitely seems worse with ios 5. I assume it will get better before final release.

And Please, no one say "of course! it's BETA!" We all know it is beta and it will be buggy. That doesn't mean we cannot talk about those bugs. That's how they get fixed.

11. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did anyone with battery issues try restoring the iPhone as new and seeing if battery improves? My iPhone with ios 5 is draining heavily but I restored from backup, so that might be it.

12. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Yup me - it fixed it and now running good (see post 3)

13. apprunner macrumors regular

Actually, the poweramp draws waaaay more power. You can watch 10 hours of video sideloaded on an iphone but your talk time is about 6 hours (with the screen blacked out). :D

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I haven't any noticeable drop in battery performance after upgrading. I don't turn on my % indicator or check my usage compulsively either, so.

15. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You do bring up a good point, there are certain types of usage that will pull more power, but overall it's the display most of the time.
    You are taking a really great approach. Most people don't realize it's simply an indicator, not a very specific gauge. It's only there to give us an approximate idea of the amount of charge remaining. Kind of like a gas gauge in a car. Just an indicator.

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Seems worse and it gets hotter than hell just playing music, but I expect all that to improve with new betas.

17. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Same here. My battery percentage was like a ticking clocking in iOS 5. I'm back to 4.1 for now (just to enjoy the extra speed and memory).

I'm hoping the issues I had with iOS 5 were "beta 1" issues. Maybe the next beta will be better optimized.

18. RobQuads macrumors regular

Got it installed last night just after midnight and when I got up in the morning ~8am it was down on less than 10%!

Only thing that might have killed it was I turned on reminder to test how they worked which I am guessing meanted it kept looking for its location.

19. Durandal549 macrumors member

This was happening to me as well. My iphone4 was getting extreamly hot and draining battery very fast. I also noticed when I got to work my speakers were going crazy with EDGE interferance (It sucks working in 2g land).

Anyway it seemed like the phone was constantly sending data. A lot more than normal.

My fix was to:
    - Turn off notifications for weather (and associated location service)
    - Turn off everything iCloud (herd it isn't working yet anyway ?)

Same as 4.3.3
    - Push mail

Those are the only areas that I played with but that solved my issue.

20. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I'll give mine another day to see if it settles down. It's not worth burning my battery up for.

21. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

That's not my experience so far - just posted a new thread about this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12717627#post12717627

22. celticpride678

Battery life is just about the same for me. But, as with every iOS beta since iOS 2.0, battery life sucks for many.

23. genexrocket macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it's the same, there's always a thread like this for every single freaking update. :rolleyes:

24. shandyman Suspended

there are 2 reasons for battery issues in iOS5 beta:

1 - Reminders, location seems to be always on, which will drain power.

2 - Beta runs diagnostic stuff in the background for error logging, etc as part of beta testing.

25. iKennett macrumors 6502

My battery is like a ticking bomb! Not usual one to notice these things either.

Just glad it is still beta :D