iOS 5 beta 2 Updating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phog44, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Phog44 macrumors newbie

So, when the beta for iOS 5 came out I was thrilled with all the new features, although of course they're are some bugs. I was told that in order to install the beta on my iphone 4, I was going to need to activate my UDID. Of course I did so. I was also told I needed to have iTunes 10.5 beta as well. So i followed those instructions and I was able to install the beta sucessfully, however, instead of updating my iPhone, I had to completely wipe everything, and reinstall all my apps and sync everything all over again from itunes. I don't want to have to do this again with iOS 5 beta 2. Do you think, that since now I have the beta that it will update fine, or will I need to reactivate my UDID and wipe out my whole phone again?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If the iOS3 and iOS4 betas are to be a guide the answer is maybe. From memory some of the iOS3 betas after the first one required complete restores but most of the iOS4 ones didn't. Basically we won't know until it is released.

3. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I'm on the same boat. They have to test out over the air updates sooner of later, so I'm really hoping they test it out with iOS 5 beta 2.

4. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

I'm new to the Beta area for the iPhone. I had a friend register my UDID do I have to get him to re-register it again?

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

No, as long as he registered you for the iOS 5 beta.

Also, you never know. They may do delta updates ;) Gotta test that too, ya know.

6. wvphysics macrumors regular

After installation did you restore from backup? That will restore all your installed apps and settings. However, if it times out you lose all the apps (and folders) that had not yet been restored. I had to restore from backup a few times for it to not time out.

7. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

Thanks Mr Pink for replying back :D

I did a clean/fresh install on mine, don't mind if I have to do it for Beta 2 if they don't do the Delta Updates.

8. wvphysics macrumors regular

Just to make sure we're not misunderstanding each other, it sounded to me like you were saying you wish you could update your phone rather than lose all of your apps and settings. I am saying that you do not have to lose all that. The beta is installed just as you said, which means everyone does a clean install, but there is an extra step if you want to restore all your apps, settings, and folders. After the clean install you just click restore from backup, then select the backup you wish to restore from. It doesn't matter that the backup is from iOS4.

9. Phog44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a backup of my iphone, but I wasn't sure if it would take me all the way back to iOS 4. I was afraid of that. So when I update to the beta 2 when it comes out, I can update using restore, but then instead of choosing set up as new iphone, I can set it up from backed up version saved on my itunes?

10. wvphysics macrumors regular

I cant say with certainty about doing so for Beta 2, but for the current beta Yes you can restore from backup from before updating and it keeps the iOS5. The restore would time out on me sometimes, which would mean only some of the apps transferred, but then I would just redo the restore. Also, from what I've read the only way to go back to iOS4 would be to reinstall the non-beta itunes, put the phone into DFU mode and reinstall iOS4, so I think it would be hard to accidentally revert back to iOS4.

11. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

You also asked about UDID, once that is registered its done, you do not need to do it again after every new installation.

12. graymalkin2 macrumors newbie

Further to wvphysics comment, don't forget to do a fresh backup in iTunes 10.5 beta 1 before installing iTunes 10.5 beta 2. Otherwise you get the "The iPhone XXXXX could not be synced because the sync session failed to start" message.

This guide to installing iOS 5 beta 2 might be of help.