iOS 5 Beta 3 - Newsstand question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDustiNN, Jul 13, 2011.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

For those of you testing out Beta 3... Is the ugly & annoying Newsstand folder still locked on-screen? I really hate that it's there and you can't disable it, especially since I will never use it. Ever.

2. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

It will always be that way. It's a folder. The only change would be if you could disable it, but I'm pretty sure Apple wants people to see it so it increases the likelihood of making purchases.

3. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

im sure that cydia will have a solution for it:D

4. mms13 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty upset that you can't folder the Newsstand app. I hope they change that.

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

No way Apple is going to get rid of that. It's obviously there to help sell subscriptions.

6. DDustiNN, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Damn... I was hoping I wouldn't have to jailbreak with iOS 5, but it's looking more and more likely... Just for the simplest things too... Pictures in contact list, quick reply SMS, notification icons in status bar, hiding unwanted springboard icons... All things that SHOULD already be included... :mad:

7. Dimmick macrumors member

Dimmick

Anyone else feel like the Newstand app will be a fat ad on their homescreen?

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You can't folder a folder so it is not going to happen. It will be just like all the other non removable apple apps, weather, stocks, contacts, notes and so on. It is there for the long haul.

9. mattraehl macrumors 6502

So some of you don't read any magazine or newspaper content on your iPads? Just curious, it's kind of surprising to me.

10. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I don't. And I certainly don't on my iPhone.

The fact that that stupid icon is not removable is just unacceptable.

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I just bury it a few pages deep hardly ever see it.

12. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Ok..... So we'll go over this...again.

iOS5 is in beta. How do we know what's going to be in the release version????? We don't. This is much like iBooks. I hope that apple uses newstand the same as iBooks and let's us have a store just for mags and newspapers.

It has to be in the beta and on the homescreen for developers to test and figure out all the quirks associated with it. It's not like they can go and download it from the app store. There is absolulty no indication that it will be a folder that's comes with iOS5 nor is there any indication that it won't be. We all have to wait and see.

For the newspapers and magazines I think it is great. I will be using it regardless if I have to download it or it comes stock.

I use my iPhone for reading the news and I think this is the perfect solution to searching for magazines and newspapers in the app store. I think it opens up the possibility for more local newspaper to get on board because they now have a newsstand to display their product.

I hope it's like this. If it isn't. No big deal to me because I'll use it either way.

13. jonrando macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, the icon looks neat, even though I don't plan on using Newsstand. I like the whole stock feel of Apples setup when you use your device for the first time and I don't like to interrupt it.

14. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

As a guess I think in the final release the Newsstand viewer will end up being added to the restrictions settings under General with all the other apps that allow you to buy stuff.

15. shandyman Suspended

wrong. it's a special folder, comes as stock. it's not useable in beta so there's no reason for devs to test it. the coding for it is as a folder, but a special folder. Due to the prominence at WWDC, it's going to be stock folder on the first screen.

i just hide it on the last screen with the folder with the stocks app, no biggie. Once it's up and running i'll see what it's like though.

16. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

It's actually not a folder, it just appears as one interface-wise. It is an app.

17. shandyman Suspended

Nope, it's a folder, if it was an app you could put it in a folder, it would be more like iBooks. It's a folder and the magazines for it are basically mini-apps.

If it was an app then any old app would try and use the interface the way newsstand does.

Even apple calls it a folder - http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

18. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

I really hope you will be able to disable it. I don't mind it on my iPad, but on my iPhone I have no need for it.

19. shandyman Suspended

we've not been able to disable other stock apps, so i highly doubt it

20. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

You can disable
    IMG_0001.PNG

21. shandyman Suspended

I don't see stocks, weather, notes or voice memos there, so my statement still stands....

22. awm037 macrumors newbie

If it's not an app, why does it appear in Multitasking?

photo.PNG

23. ciciyu macrumors newbie

24. shandyman Suspended

But it just takes you to the folder.

Apple have said its a folder therefore it's a folder. They designed it so one would think they knew what it was.......

25. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

It is an application which is a folder to hold newsstand applications
    in other words it is neither, it is a newsstand.
    Something new.