iOS 5 Beta 4 - Poor battery (possible fix)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dom9360, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dom9360 macrumors newbie

dom9360

Anyone experiencing poor battery performance on the latest beta? I've discovered that something is ALWAYS pulling my location. It's the Traffic service from apple!

Apple may be working on a new “traffic service” that helps iPhone users avoid remaining stuck in traffic by tracking the location of phones"

Disable it this way, and see if it help with your battery:

SETTINGS->LOCATION SERVICES->SYSTEM SERVICES->disable 'Traffic'

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

I assume that you thought that this was pulling your location data due to an icon in the status bar, correct? I have not noticed an icon and mine is on, so I am not sure that is your problem...

3. dom9360 thread starter macrumors newbie

dom9360

It's a valid bug. In iOS 5 /b4, traffic is enabled by default. However, the location service arrow is DISABLED by default (ironic). Ensure you have this enabled (Settings->Location Services->System ServicesStatus Bar Icon on). See if you get the arrow then.

After disabling the traffic service on three different iPhones, all have improved battery life.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

I want to preface this by saying I am not arguing, just trying to understand/ help :)

When I said it was "on" on my phone that is the path that I navigated to. I do not see a different area to have the icon on versus the location service on.

What I wanted to say is that you've had the ability to see traffic in many past iOS firmwares.

Again, not arguing, just playing devil's advocate :) I am not having battery issues anyway!

5. dom9360 thread starter macrumors newbie

dom9360

I think this one is in relation to crowd-sourced traffic rather than the Google Maps standard traffic. I've only seen this the 5 betas. Trying to figure out if that was available in the previous beta because I, too, did not experience any battery issues until this latest beta. :)

6. Daniel L macrumors 6502

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

only thing that seems to be constantly on for me in that location is setting time zone..... surely it doesn't need to be running constantly?

8. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

I have the beta 4 installed on 2 iphone 4's. Both had fine battery life in Beta 3, then just awful life in B4. I'm talking, losing 1% every 2minutes with the display on, and 1% every 5min with the display off (standby mode). I got so frustrated by this that I downgraded back 4.3.3, but I kept my fiances at 5.0 b4. When she get's home I'll try this and report back.

9. bizfox, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

bizfox macrumors member

When following your directions, I can only see:

* Cell network search
    * Compass calibration
    * Status bar icon

I don't see a "traffic" option?

Updated: The "traffic" option was available this morning, and I turned it off.

10. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

My battery is just as good, if not better, than iOS 4.3

11. F1Addict macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Both mine and my wife's (both running beta 4) are experiencing severe battery drain. I've turned off the location services mentioned above, and restarted but still not helping. I've lost 40% of battery so far this morning within 2 hours and hardly any usage.

Anybody have any ideas?

12. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

It seems to be data-related.

I was doing some testing yesterday and with Cellular Data and WiFi turned off, the battery drain stopped - it was back to iOS 4.3 performance.

With Wi-Fi on and cellular data off, the drain was slower but definitely worse batter performance than 4.3.

Turning on/off location services did not make a difference.

I'm thinking it might be iCloud related, I'm going to try turning it off and see what happens.

13. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

Yeah, its iCloud - I turned all of the services off and my phone cooled down, battery level stopped dropping!

Next I'm gonna turn each of the services on, one at a time and see what happens.

14. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Thank You, I am trying this right now...Please work!

15. illini71 macrumors member

I had the same battery issues. I fixed it by installing the beta 4 fresh from itunes. Im using the stock settings and getting great battery life.............

16. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

If it's anything like my iOS 5 experiences, check your Bluetooth. ;)

17. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

So far i think my battery life is better after trying this. I just uploaded 5 pictures to my dropbox account and i am still on 100%. I'm pretty sure i would have already been to at least 98-99% if i had traffic turned on.

18. F1Addict macrumors newbie

My has gotten progressively WORSE over the last day or so. Last night I turned off all location services, then turned off everything iCloud related. Left it on the charger overnight. I unplugged it this morning with 100% charge -- and it was completely dead by 1pm -- with NO usage!!

I read something over at the Apple Developer Forum -- turned my iPhone off (holding the top power button for 2 seconds, slide to turn off) and while it's off, plugged it into my Mac (not a power outlet -- not sure what the difference would be). When I plugged it in, it rebooted. I let it completely charge to 100%, and it's been over 98% for 3 hours now.

I think I fixed it!! Charging my wife's now. I'll report back if anything changes.

19. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorry about the double post

20. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

Please tell me if this works!

21. itsalexaye macrumors regular

22. trajen macrumors 6502a

23. NyYaNkEeFaN95 macrumors regular

NyYaNkEeFaN95

What worked for you?

24. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

The thing that made the biggest difference for me in iOS5 b4 was turning off Ping.

That made a massive difference for me. Huge. I recommend you all do it (unless you use Ping obviously!)

25. charliecc macrumors regular

I was having the same battery issue, it was literally draining before my eyes.

I tried all the suggestions such as turning off some of the location services etc, but they didn't make a noticeable difference.

Having read somewhere else that the issue seemed to be caused by the OTA update, I did a full restore to iOS5 beta 4 using a wired connection. Now the battery life is back to normal.

Did everyone who is experiencing the battery issue do an OTA iOS update? If so, try restoring like I did.