iOS 5 Beta 5 Expired today

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by transam7816, Sep 29, 2011.

1. transam7816 macrumors regular

Expired about an hour ago for me. Just a heads up

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Considering beta 7 is current, that should not surprise you...

3. digitalhen macrumors regular

Argh. My developer account expired last week (didn't want to renew with no time to develop and iOS 5 arriving soon). We forgot to update one of our phones and the beta version it was on just expired.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how we might get it to work again besides signing up for another year?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yes.

Wait until Tuesday.

5. The DRis macrumors 6502

Beta 6 expired as well. I was hoping it would last until beta 8 was out. First time I haven't updated to the latest beta and now it bites me in the ass.

6. Fraa, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

Fraa macrumors newbie

I got the same problem, but I fixed it.

I didn't update to beta 7 because I live in Belgium and I read that my provider had problems with the beta 7 update. Something with the APN settings that disappeared and you couldn't use your data connection because of that. Only "Mobistar", the only provider that gets the new iPhones before anyone else worked, probably because those devices are pre-programmed with the right APN settings. A couple of hours ago my iPhone gave me an activation screen and it said it couldn't activate my iPhone because the servers were down. It's actually just because beta 6 expired and you're not allowed to use it anymore. I couldn't update through iTunes because it gave me almost every error code it could. I decided that I would try rolling the update back to 4.3.5 and live with that for the time being. But that didn't work either, again... about every error possible showed up in iTunes. I tried iReb, TinyUmbrella, etc, nothing worked.

Eventually the fix was quite easy.

1. Bypass the activation screen on your phone (Triple click the "Home" button, Press "Emergency call", Dial "112", Press "Call", Press "Home", Press "Return to call" on the top bar, Press "End call" & Click "Home" again). Now you'll see your home screen with all your icons.

2. Go to Settings, General, Software Update & Download the beta 7 update.

3. Keep touching your screen every 5-10 seconds or so. Otherwise when your screen turns off you have to bypass the Activation screen again.

It installed the update, rebooted & the activation worked because it could actually activate the beta 7 update compared to the previous expired beta 6 version. After a couple of hours of trying and messing around I was quite happy that I finally got it to work :)

7. philstone macrumors 6502

Perfect thanks, being in Jersey (The Old one in the UK :) ) I too stayed on B6 due to the APN settings issue - this fixed mine this morning!

Cheers

8. vincebio, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

my home button is set for triple click to black/white..

any other solution for this?

EDIT : Just downloaded the beta 7 and restoring...

9. LastZion macrumors 6502a

10. Fraa macrumors newbie

I got a fix for the APN issues too:

Make sure you're connected to a wifi network on your phone and surf to: help.benm.at

It's a website where you can download Carrier APN settings for your iPhone, if your carrier is in the list, you can just download it and it works well. If it's not, you can create your own APN-profile (scroll to the bottom of the page) and download it. Mine wasn't in it, so I just filled in the APN, login & password and it worked just fine :)