iOS 5 Beta 5 = Non-Apple Apps Crashing (Fix)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ThePimento, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ThePimento macrumors member

ThePimento

For those of you having an issue when updating to Beta 5 and all of your non-Apple apps crashing, I've found a fix (at least for me).

I followed the update instructions, and even erased all my settings, etc. Once I was running the new beta, none of my downloaded apps would work on my iPhone (around 243 apps, minus the Apple ones).

I tried wiping the iPhone again and reinstalling and still nothing. Some forum posters on here said to delete the apps you downloaded and reinstall them, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to do that for all 243 apps.

Lucky this whole issue was fixed by deleting my Facebook app, then downloading it again. All (yes ALL) of my apps opened after I did this.

Hope this saves you some headache if you're experiencing this issue!

2. WhtKnt macrumors newbie

Another way to fix...

I was having the same, horribly obnoxious problem too. Looks like your post is the only one on the net that acknowledges the issue.

I didn't have Facebook installed, however I found that by simply downloading and installing a brand new app from the AppStore app on the device, it fixed all of my other apps. Important to note that I believe it has to be an app you haven't downloaded before...has to be totally fresh.

Hope this helps!

3. ThePimento thread starter macrumors member

ThePimento

Sorry, I should've been clearer, but I didn't mean the Facebook app was the issue. It seems to be fixed if you just download an app (one you've downloaded before or a new one).

Simple fix for a problem that had me pulling my hair out.

4. WhtKnt macrumors newbie

Gotcha - that makes sense. I was seriously considering reinstalling each app, one by one, though your post made me consider alternatives and it's nice that there's such a simple fix.

5. ThePimento thread starter macrumors member

ThePimento

I know what you mean, as I was about to do that too on my iPhone.

This also happened when I updated my iPad 2 (no apps working), but I installed an app and they all work. My friend updated both his iPhone & iPad 2 and all of his apps worked from the beginning. Strange.

6. umarimtiaz3 macrumors newbie

umarimtiaz3

i tried to do it but didnt work for me.........any suggestions??

7. rossmorgan29 macrumors newbie

This fix isn't working for me either.

This is kind of a weird issue though. My apps all worked last night. All of a sudden when I woke up this morning, they were a no go. Strange.

8. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Silly question but are you all syncing with the new iTunes 10.5 beta 5? A lot of people who seemed to have this issue fixed it by simply updating their iTunes after having used the OTA beta 5 update on their phones.

9. rossmorgan29 macrumors newbie

10. ThePimento thread starter macrumors member

ThePimento

Yes, I synced with iTunes Beta 5 and all my apps didn't work until I did the fix mentioned above.

11. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Withy every iOS 5 beta, I have always wiped and installed each one with the phone (and iPad) in DFU mode. The main inconveniences are that you shouldn't restore from a backup, loading everything back in and reorganizing your desktop (apps and such) takes some time. BUT...right now, iOS 5 b5 runs absolutely flawlessly with none of the issues clogging these threads.

I wasn't about to trust a beta OTA, and personally, I think that (and deltas) are where many of the bugs live that Apple is in the process of ironing out.

12. brianfalexander macrumors newbie

I just had this problem. Found out that installing a new app, old app, or an update will solve this problem. Thanks so much everyone! :)

13. bruseth, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

bruseth macrumors newbie

Another fix for app crashing in iOS 5 Beta 5

Same for me. Installing a new app didn't fix the problem. Then I remembered that the first crash happened after trying to enable iCloud backup on my devices (iPhone 4 and iPad 2). When I clicked on 'Storage & Backup,' and then turned on 'iCloud Backup,' the device eventually crashed. After that, everything (Apple and non-Apple apps) crashed after about 30 seconds. So I went in and deleted my iCloud account, and there have been no crashes since. Hope this helps others. It was really an infuriating experience for a few days. Good luck.

14. bruseth macrumors newbie

Hi umarimtiaz3,

Try going into 'Settings,' on your iDevice, and deleting your iCloud account. I think that people who migrated their original MobileMe account into 'iCloud' the past few days, via <iCloud.com/move>, are the ones experiencing the same problems. While it let us do that, (migrate our MobileMe accounts into the 'Cloud') I don't think that it (the 'Cloud') is working quite right yet, and that is why we few people are still experincing these app crashes. Once I went into 'Settings' on my iDevices, and deleted my iCloud account, I haven't had any crashes, either with my Apple apps or my non-Apple apps, after trying everything else, e.g., downloading a new app and installing it, clean restores, etc. Until I did that, my two iDevices were virtually worthless - the apps on both of them crashed constantly about 30 seconds after starting them up. Let me know how this works out for you, if you don't mind. You can contact me at --> kenterriATme.com. Good luck to you.

Bruseth

15. koolzero macrumors regular

I have run into the same issue and have tried deleting an app and reinstalling it, installing a new free app, deleting icloud backup, deleting icloud account from phone and so far nothing has fixed it. I hope Beta 6 will.