iOS 5 beta 5 text message help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coupey, Aug 7, 2011.

1. coupey macrumors regular

i dont receive text messages until reboot the phone and then they all pop up and i dont receive another until another reboot, i first upgraded via OTA but ive just did another restore via option + click ispw thru itunes.

has anyone found a way to fix this? i posted in the big thread and someone else said they were having same issue but nobody seemed to give an answer.

this is quite annoying :(

2. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

3. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a problem I had with earlier builds of iOS 5. You can't receive texts and can't send any tell you do a hard reset right? For me the problem started in beta 2 and stayed there tell beta 4 where I though apple fixed it because I didn't have the problem anymore. So far beta 5 has had no problem for me. The only thing I can say is that sometimes syncing it with iTunes and leaving it plugged in the phone will be able to function normally. Other then that I have no idea how to help.

4. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks zack, anyone else having this issue i find it very hard to believe im the only one that cant receive texts....

5. rammy, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

rammy macrumors member

Same problem (no SMS's until hard reboot).

Installed beta 5 via restore using the latest beta 5 of iTunes.

<update> UK o2 user btw.

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I hate to be one of those, but this is a known problem right at the top of the release notes.

7. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

it's fine. just glanced again and i see nothing about not receiving messages or a fix. care to quote, sorry for inconvenience.

8. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I just looked and saw nothing about a delay in text's.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Use your primary for communication and have your testing device (I'm assuming you have one) running the beta.

10. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

k that doesn't help. just looking for a fix not a lecture on life choices in cell phone usage. it's not happening to everyone so there has to be a fix for it that just isn't being said.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Have you tried restoring and setting the phone up as new?

12. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

yes that fixes it but i lose all my text messages that I've had since forever. unless there's a way to start the phone as new and then sync all my text convos back onto phone. only way I know how to do that is restoring from a back up. prolly could Google a way to do it though.

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I think you have two options at this point....

Deal with losing all your texts now but have a working phone

or

Deal with not being able to receive your text for now, hope it gets fixed by GM, but probably have to restore as new then anyway since it sounds more like a problem that is just one of those things that is going to be fixed by wiping everything out.

Do you have that many texts that you really need to save?

I believe there are some programs available that will extract texts from the backup but you will have to Google for them.

14. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Damn, I know I saw it yesterday when I was reading through but it doesn't appear to be there yesterday. I can almost recall exactly what it said but I can't find it anymore. My bad.

15. coupey thread starter macrumors regular

for what it's worth iMessage works, getting those without needed a reboot to get them. imma just have to suck it up and lose my texts I guess. it was just nice being able to go through texts from like 09 if needed haha. oh well!

16. Surrix macrumors regular

A thought: do texts work immediately if you disable iMessage?

17. Scott90 macrumors 6502

On the Developer Forums someone noticed it's because of the difference between a soft and hard limit in the SMS database. Apparently, rather than it being a soft limit, it's now a hard limit or something like that. If you delete 1, you can get 1 more. Don't know if it's true, but that would explain why setting it up as a new phone makes it work (and why it works for some but not for others).

18. masonhogfan macrumors newbie

I'm having this EXACT same problem in the GM. Did anyone ever find a fix for it? deleting all my texts doesn't work so its not the hard limit issue

19. masonhogfan macrumors newbie

I feel extremely dumb... I deleted all my texts and now it works. I guess I was over the text storage limit? I didn't know iPhones even had that