iOS 5 Beta 5 Weird iTunes behaviour

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shandyman, Aug 13, 2011.

1. shandyman Suspended

Since doing beta 5 OTA, (by doing erase contents and settings first, as stated), every now and then when i plug my iPad into iTunes it thinks it's a new device, anyone else having this? anyone know why?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, I had this too. I got around it by making sure it was backed up to iCloud, then plugging in and choosing "set up as a new device". For some reason, this just got rid of the setup screen and it hasn't come back.

It didn't erase anything from my iPad as I expected.

Seems to be a bug in iOS5/iTunes b5.

3. shandyman thread starter Suspended

it came backe on mine a coupla times. on my iPhone it removed my ringtones too

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

This is a known issue.

It has to do with the Wifi sync. Apparently if you do not enable that, you will be fine.

I went back t 4.3.5. I need to use these machines and not have to worry about syncing ever.

5. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I just came to post this exact question.

So how does one backup iOS5 beta 5 without risking going back to a past restore or setting up as a new device?

----------

May I ask what method you used to downgrade?, and were you able to restore your pad from a fairly recent backup or did you have to go back to a really old backup?

6. shandyman thread starter Suspended

you went back to 4.3.5 rather than just turn off wifi sync? i'll just turn off wifi sync rather than go thru that hassle. Plus it's only a few more days til beta 6 comes out....

7. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

How does one turn off wifi sync in itunes?
    As I cant seem to access that section of the choices since it either wants to restore or setup as new.

8. shandyman thread starter Suspended

tell it to set up as new, then it'll go to the normal screen, then untick wifi sync, that's what i just did

9. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

No.

11. shandyman thread starter Suspended

nope, not on mine.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

I kept it on my phone, but I had problems with skype on iPad, problems with Facebook on safari, and the sync issue. I didn't know about the wifi sync issue until after I lost all my stuff. So I decided to go back to 4.3.5. Runs much more stable than iOS 5 right now.

13. shandyman thread starter Suspended

problems with skype? i'm using it fine and have been through all the beta's. i've had no problem with facebook thru safari, just thru the app itself, but that's to be expected with the FB app.

yea there's still bugs in beta 5, some new ones too, but i think it's quite stable compared to the iOS4 betas

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

Incidentally, I left wifi sync on and the popup about new device hasn't appeared in a few days after I chose set up as new device (which didn't delete anything).