IOS 5 Beta 5 - Wireless syncing not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zarmati, Aug 16, 2011.

1. zarmati macrumors member

I installed the IOS Beta 5 OTA 2 weeks ago and finally tried the wireless syncing but it doesn't seem to be working.
    Previous versions of the iTunes beta would remember my device. Now the only way my device will show up is when it is connected. Then it seems to sync wirelessly (even though it is already plugged in ) .

I checked off the Sync over wi-fi connection but its still not working.

It seems that they've also changed the wi-fi sync UI on the beta 5 . If I'm not mistaken it said something like " sync with iTunes through wi-fi " now it says
    " Automatically sync with iTunes on your computer when your iPhone is plugged in to power and connected to wifi. "
    I've plugged it to my wall charger but it doesn't change anything.

When it is not connected it just says that its looking for my iMac and it never ends up finding it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. shandyman Suspended

they've not changed the UI the comment about plugging in to a charger was always there, thats for it to AUTOMATICALLY update overnight (you even typed AUTOMATICALLY...). you can manually sync anytime.

plus when it's plugged into the machine, it is no syncing wirelessly, it's via cable, you can tell as the battery icon is next to the device name in itunes. it's just that cabled syncing now can be done in the background without blocking the device out like it used to.

sometimes it can take it a while to pick up the device on wifi in beta 5, seems to be a bit more tempermental, hopefully this will be sorted in beta 6 on Thursday. Try unticking sync with wifi connection and re-enabling it, also try a reboot, could just be a stubborn glitch. sometimes when i get home it takes 10-20 minutes to appear in my iTunes Device list.

3. zarmati thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it was written the same in the previous , I'm not quite sure. The wireless syncing icon is showing up on the top left off my phone so I'm guessing its syncing wirelessly. None the less it's still not working. Oh well , i'll wait till thursday.

Thanks

4. shandyman Suspended

it was written the same, they used the same wording and phrasing in the marketing on the iOS5 section of the site straight after the announcment and on the beta notes, i remember cos there were a bunch of people that, like you, totally misread it and were complaining how it's not really wifi syncing....

the icon you think is wireless syncing in the top left (the circle one that spins with the arrows) is for normal syncing as well via a cable. we have that now as syncing is done in the background now, as opposed to the previous way which locked out the phone whilst it's doing it.

have you tried the suggestions?

5. kevcarm macrumors newbie

How I fixed this...

I had the exact same problem. I just quit iTunes and restarted it, and then it worked.

Kevin