iOS 5 Beta 7 Bricked my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JosephDuffy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    After seeing the new iOS 5 Beta 7 update was out the other day, I waited for my laptop to be free, and backed up my iPad (Luckily, it would seem).
    I made sure I had enough battery for the upgrade, plugged it in, and continued to update over the air. It shows the "Verifying Update" screen, then I believe it started to update. It then shut down (Power), and I assumed it was simply restarting or something similar. Pressing the Home button does nothing, pressing or holding the power button also does nothing. I've plugged it back into my computer, iTunes shows nothing.
    The iPad has never been Jailbroken, and is registered on my legitimate iOS Developer account (No funny business).
    I have jailbroken my iPhone before, I don't remember the process 100%, but it feels like DFU mode. Either way, it's not doing anything.
    I guess my question is, what can I do? If it is in DFU, does this give me an opportunity to go back to iOS 4 (Maybe avoid this again?). In any case, what can I do to get my iPad working again?
    Thanks for any help,
    Joseph Duffy

2. RayK macrumors 6502

I recommend the apple developer support forums. They are all actually using the iOS beta and are free to discuss it there. There is a much better chance that someone there has had the problem and knows how to fix it. Good luck!

3. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

It turns out my DFU mode thing was almost correct. I assumed that if it didn't work, it would go into DFU mode. not true.
    I forced it into DFU and restored, all is fixed :)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hold down the sleep and home buttons for at least 20 seconds until the Apple logo hopefully appears.

[EDIT] Disregard. Beaten to it by the OP! ;)

5. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed you where, but thank you for replying, if it wasn't for Twitter, I wouldn't have remembered until now! :)